Adobe Director 11 ???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone have any information on when Adobe Director 11 is coming out and what exactly they have updated? Its been since 2004, almost 2003 since Macromedia Director MX 2004 and im really sick of waiting.

hopefully shockwave/director will be universal binary as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It's supposed to be out sometime at the end of this year (maybe beginning of next). It's currently in beta testing. It will be universal binary, but won't really have a huge amount of new features. The update concentrates on the conversion to universal binary, updating old code, bug-fixes, and making sure the the different programming languages in Director operate consistently. Adobe does have a product timeline that currently includes plans through version 12 and 13 which will be more feature releases.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I never understood why they didn't make it part of Flash. Let the Director people cry for a minute, your dealing with a program that has much better movie clip control and a lot of other features. If people would sit down with Action Scripting they would see it's not that bad. Director always seemed primitive to me. I feel the same way towards Freehand, I really think Illustrator is the better application. They both have their differences, but at the same time, they are so similar that if someone sat down in front of the other program, they would be able to use it. I think Director should be put to rest or integrated into Flash like they did with Photoshop and Image Ready.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Holy cow, I thought they stopped making that program in the 90s!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,334moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I never understood why they didn't make it part of Flash. Let the Director people cry for a minute, your dealing with a program that has much better movie clip control and a lot of other features. If people would sit down with Action Scripting they would see it's not that bad. Director always seemed primitive to me. I feel the same way towards Freehand, I really think Illustrator is the better application. They both have their differences, but at the same time, they are so similar that if someone sat down in front of the other program, they would be able to use it. I think Director should be put to rest or integrated into Flash like they did with Photoshop and Image Ready.

I agree it should be part of Flash. Just include the 3D capability into Flash, which would be neat anyway - online 3D games/apps maybe. Then ditch Lingo in favor of Actionscript, which is way more popular online, though I'm not sure of the performance difference.

I think this about a lot of Adobe software. I don't think Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Indesign need to be separate. Same with Photoshop and After Effects. There is so much common ground between all of them, there could be a smaller lineup. Of course, I doubt Adobe is too bothered if people have to buy more than one package.
  • Reply 5 of 11
  • Reply 6 of 11
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    No flash is the baby brother to Director.

Flash is much less powerful, much harder to control elements, much harder to edit.

It's a shame that flash isn't part of director but why sell 1 product when you can sell 2.

(maybe I am a little biased in directors favour beacuse I learnt it first)

j.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnrp View Post

No flash is the baby brother to Director.

Flash is much less powerful, much harder to control elements, much harder to edit.

It's a shame that flash isn't part of director but why sell 1 product when you can sell 2.

(maybe I am a little biased in directors favour beacuse I learnt it first)

j.

Have you even looked at ActionScript 3, being much much much faster and feature rich than old Director? Flash is pretty much better in everything nowadays. Yes, Director may control your desktop more (since it isn't in a "web sandbox") but there are add-ons for Flash that makes the same possible when you publish Flash EXE files.

Really, I don't know how you got the idea Flash is much less powerful. Please eleborate :-)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Have you even looked at ActionScript 3, being much much much faster and feature rich than old Director? Flash is pretty much better in everything nowadays. Yes, Director may control your desktop more (since it isn't in a "web sandbox") but there are add-ons for Flash that makes the same possible when you publish Flash EXE files.

Really, I don't know how you got the idea Flash is much less powerful. Please eleborate :-)

ha, maybe I am just an old camujeon (sp?) stuck in my ways.

I will take a look at Actionscript 3 on your recommendation, and hopefully have my views changed. I would realy love to love flash I just can't seem to though it always seems to frustrate in the last 5% of trying to make it do something.

j.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Yes, Director may control your desktop more (since it isn't in a "web sandbox") but there are add-ons for Flash that makes the same possible when you publish Flash EXE files.

...and how many of those add-ons actually can create Mac applications instead of just exe files. The last time I looked they added functionality by creating hacked projectors and had difficulty implementing multiple hacks in one projector. Director gets around this with xtras. Flash really needs more application features and a reliable extension/plugin system before it can be considered competitive in the cross-platform application/cd-rom/kiosk field.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

...and how many of those add-ons actually can create Mac applications instead of just exe files. The last time I looked they added functionality by creating hacked projectors and had difficulty implementing multiple hacks in one projector. Director gets around this with xtras. Flash really needs more application features and a reliable extension/plugin system before it can be considered competitive in the cross-platform application/cd-rom/kiosk field.

All true. Integrating Flash and Director would be a huge task since they would both have to be backwardly compatible. As long as it is commercially viable to maintain Director that would be the course they will take. And then there is Authorware.

m
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think this about a lot of Adobe software. I don't think Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Indesign need to be separate. Same with Photoshop and After Effects. There is so much common ground between all of them, there could be a smaller lineup. Of course, I doubt Adobe is too bothered if people have to buy more than one package.

I use all of those packages and they are distinctly different in the type of work they are best suited to. If any of the applications that Adobe sells could be combined, it would be Photoshop and Fireworks and also Premiere and After Effects. In the case of the latter it would be difficult to justify from a marketing standpoint due to (as you suggested) they would rather sell two applications instead of one. Especially those two, because they are each really high priced professional apps.