Preparing for 10.5 clean install

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi there,

I'm wondering how to migrate all (meta-) data from my 10.4 install to a fresh install of 10.5 in the near future.

I'm especially thinking about iPhoto 08, iTunes 7 and Mail (Safari bookmarks shouldn't be a problem )

- iPhoto: is is sufficient just to backup the whole iPhoto Library folder and then copy it back to the fresh 10.5/iLife 08 install?

- Will the album artwork still be there after just backing up the whole music-folder (including iTunes folder) and then re-import the whole bunch to 10.5-itunes?

- How do I backup all my mail accounts/inboxes to use them after installing 10.5?

Does anybody know a useful guide/HowTo in the web for preparing a fresh Mac OS install? I haven't found one so far....

Thanks for the info,

best regs,

beelzebubi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Hey,

For iPhoto, you should be able to keep all of your metadata so long as you copy the whole "package". I'm not sure though, maybe someone can confirm this.

I think album artwork is actually embedded into the tracks, so that should be okay. I remember when I used to "obtain" music over the net, once imported into iTunes the artwork was already there.

Not sure about mail inboxes. I think you might be able to save your inboxes.

myfirstmac usually has good advice, I found this article regarding Leopard installation:

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/...alling-leopard

Is it really worth doing a clean install though? I mean, going through all this backing up just to do it, there must be some real benefits, right?

Hope I helped a little,

Michael
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I started a similar thread the other day...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=80113

My thought was to completely back up the HD and use migration assistant to automatically transfer the old files/settings/apps from the back-uo HD to my new Leopard install. However, one of the posters to the thread said that Migration assistant is only available on new systems.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to download this app separately?

I think this method would work, but there is no way I'd run Tigers Migration Assistant on Leopard.

FWIW, I want to erase and install because my Mac is under near constant use and some odd behaviors have popped up over time.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    it's in your utilities folder man...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I know its there now, and has been since I bought my Mac. Im asking if its installed under an 'erase and install.' In the other thread, it was mentioned that this is only installed on new Macs. True/False?

To be clear, here is my upgrade plan:

1) Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a compy of my HD onto a FW drive.

2) Use an erase and intall w/10.5

3) (assuming MA is installed w/ a clean 10.5) Use Migration Assistant to automatically transfer all apps and docs.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I hate clean installs. I won't do it again unless it looks like my drive is going to fail... I'd rather buy a new computer than go through that again. Bah!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    You can take a look at the Leopard Tour Guide video which you can find it here. It gives you an overview of Leopard and tells how to upgrade the system. The installation keeps your photos and musics etc. while upgrading.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I would also like to do a clean install as I bought my MBP a couple of months ago. I am concerned how I will reinstall my apps like iLife 07 as I do not have the discs excepet for the restore disc that came with the MBP. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Clean install is not what it used to be.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0734&tstart=15

Erasing is a bad idea just make a new system folder.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

Clean install is not what it used to be.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0734&tstart=15

Erasing is a bad idea just make a new system folder.

Interesting. Apple should make this information a little more obvious to those of us (Apple) old timers.