IMAC G4 Flat Panel (usb2) RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi Folks,

Can someone please help me see the tree's thru the forest, Im after some so dimm ram for the user slots on my imac the 200 pin ones I want to get 1gb to pop in there. Does anyone have a part number and brand I can put in. Its to hard for the local computer store guy he can order it but has no idea what it is I need. I would order from apple but why pay twice as much. I have heard kingston is the one to get any thoughts.

Thanks Corey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey Siggurs View Post

Hi Folks,

Can someone please help me see the tree's thru the forest, Im after some so dimm ram for the user slots on my imac the 200 pin ones I want to get 1gb to pop in there. Does anyone have a part number and brand I can put in. Its to hard for the local computer store guy he can order it but has no idea what it is I need. I would order from apple but why pay twice as much. I have heard kingston is the one to get any thoughts.

Thanks Corey

This may answer your question. Go on site of OtherWorldComputing. From what I've seen, they seem to be the cheapest. Be careful of Kingston. Someone on AppleInsider posted that some Kingston memory does not support some Macs. Also try CompUSA or Best Buy if they are in your area. I've seen their sales on memory that was inexpensive.

Crucial, below, is good but expensive.

There are several threads on AppleInsider addressing your question. Check out threads on "Current Hardware" that pertain to RAM.

posted this elsewhere, but since I don't know how to link to that one, I'll repeat it here so you don't have to hunt for it. The post doesn't address a 1GB stick, so go to OWC and check it out.

CRUCIAL The Memory Experts

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Apple iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (24-inch) Desktop/PC.

* Maximum Memory: 4096MB

* USB Support: 2.x Compliant

* Standard Memory: 1024MB removable

* Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDRII memory with support for DDR2 PC2-5300 speeds.

Because DDR2 memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR2 speeds listed below. (not listed)

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 4096MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

Caveat: The above does NOT apply to the Mac Pro.

ADS