WTF is up with Leopard Educational Pricing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recall other major upgrades going for $129 retail and as little as $79 for educational customers. The price now? $116, plus tax. Thanks for the discount Apple! Did anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Most universities seem to be offering it to their students for $69. I know my school requires student ID as well as a signed form when you buy software from them, though, due to the student license rules. It's usually "students only, one copy of each title per person" for whatever they offer.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i blame history View Post

Most universities seem to be offering it to their students for $69. I know my school requires student ID as well as a signed form when you buy software from them, though, due to the student license rules. It's usually "students only, one copy of each title per person" for whatever they offer.

That's because that was Apple's price in the past, yes? Are you aware of a college offering it to students for $69 now?

Apple's pricing was always much lower than this. That GAVE Jaguar away years ago. I believe Panther was $79 or something...maybe $69. But $116? Not happy about that.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That's because that was Apple's price in the past, yes? Are you aware of a college offering it to students for $69 now?

Apple's pricing was always much lower than this. That GAVE Jaguar away years ago. I believe Panther was $79 or something...maybe $69. But $116? Not happy about that.

well, last week on the day that Leopard's ship date was announced, I went over to my school's computer store and preorded my copy. $69 for Leopard, then a bit of taxes (whoop-de-doo, a whole 3 dollars or so).

$116...kinda ridiculous. go to your school and ask them.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Mine will be, as well as many other schools whose website/store links have been posted on here. They have it for $69 for students. Granted, I'm not sure when I will get it, since I'm not exactly sure when my school will have it available other than "as soon as they receive them." I think software purchased by students from a school is just cheaper, seeing as I got Office for Mac for $45 when Apple's student price is $125, I believe.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Depends on your University: University of Washington is big on OS X.

http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/default.taf?

$69 and throwing a Party.

Washington State University isn't as big and doesn't appear to offer that price.

Being a WSU alum in Mech. Engineering/CS I feel quite annoyed. Then again I'm an alum and $129 is what I expect to pay. If I were in college it would mean LESS BOOZE and I'd be fine.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    The University of Michigan is also offering Leopard for $69 on campus. I'm going to have my brother get a copy for me.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yes, it seems institutions can still purchase for $69. SDW, hopefully you can get your school to order it for you. I'm getting my copy from MSU for $69.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    The University of Central Florida sells leopard for $69 ($73 and change with taxes).
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Just picked up a Family Pack at CompUSA and they are offering a $30 rebate today and Saturday. Didn't notice the cost of the single, but it's worth a look.

Actually I just checked and it's $99 after the $30 rebate.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    The price should be the same for me or my school. Remember I'm K-12, not University.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    I'm paying £58 for Leopard. Its £85 for the non-edu price. It was cheaper before with Tiger's launch, but then they increased the edu price (just like most edu pricing is now useless, unless you're buying a computer.)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah I remember $69. Not sure what's up. I got the $116 price when I checked URI at Apple's online store. I'll check the on-campus store sometime this week or next. Sheesh, that's terrible that Amazon beats the educational price! $116, that's like no discount at all!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    If anyone wants to buy me a copy, I'll gladly PayPal you $69 + shipping. I'll send you an image of my grad school ID if you'd like
  • Reply 14 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    K-12 doesn't get the same deal as a University? That's a bummer!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    University of Missouri Columbia - $69.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    It's very common for university computer stores to sell Mac software (OS and applications, both Apple and 3rd party) cheaper than the online Apple Educational Store. I buy most all my Mac software through UCF computer store.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I go to mich tech. and they dont have leopard yet.. its supposed to come on monday hopefully and they are sellin it for $69.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    for anyone who is not in school, or the school does not offer a good discount...Amazon has it for 109. Shipping should be free, but that may have changed. (although it will take 4-5 days to get to you...maybe longer). However, it's cheaper!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

If anyone wants to buy me a copy, I'll gladly PayPal you $69 + shipping. I'll send you an image of my grad school ID if you'd like

Let me post this again if you don't mind. I have one member working on it now. I'll throw in shipping and $5 for your trouble. $80? PayPal instantly. Let me know, kids. Thanks!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Well Apple just lot itself a direct order. I got a sealed copy on ebay for $103 with shipping included. That beats $125 with tax at Apple.