Random disconnects in OS X.1.1

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a dialup connection which until quite recently has been pretty stable. But in the last few weeks, I have noticed an increasing number of random disconnections from the internet occurring at inconvenient times and for no apparent reason. The system methodically disconnects the internet link and the OS then informs me that the "connection was terminated because the other side was not responding" (or words to that effect). I have no recollection of seeing this message before this problem started, and in any case it does not appear to be true as I was happily connected until a moment before the disconnection.

This is getting really annoying Anyone got any idea what's going on? Is it just a new quirk of my ISP's systems or is it an OS X system bug? (I remember that the public beta had a similar disconnection problem).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    i'm not on dial-up but I do have the same problem since recently... I have an ADSL connection PPTP-based. As far as i know, the PPTp implantation also use the dial-up part of MacOS X. :-/

It seems to be a system error and not an ISP one. it started when i installed the lastest drivers from wacom (i have a graphire 1) Do you have a tablet also? Those drivers are making a lot of troubles...

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Rasti- ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    No, I don't have a tablet, I'm afraid, Rasti, but it's good to hear that I'm not alone. Now that I think about it, this problem seemed to start after I installed the X.1.1 system update. Anyone else got any thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have an odd problem with PPP. Often after about 30-40 minutes connected it will stop "receiving" data. If I open up the status window the "send" bar is bobbing back and forth and the "received" bar is doing nothing. I have to reconnect to fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    That same exact thing has been happening to me. I'm using a new Ti 667mhz and had just assumed it was something to do with the internet service I use (macace - in the UK) but it makes more sense it's something to do with the system. I updated to OS 10.1.1 and have been having the problem ever since.

I wonder if apple realise?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Under 9 had zero trouble. My "ISP", the university modem pool is less than a mile from my apartment. I never had trouble at all.

The connection just dies. It doesn't even disconnect. I sent "feedback" to Apple which as far as I can tell puts your problem on the bottom of the to do list.