3ds Max

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm sure this question pops up from time to time, but has anyone heard anything about Autodesk introducing any more of their applications (specifically 3ds Max) to OS X?

It's so strange to me that the leading design applications that Autodesk does (outside of Maya) don't seem readily available on the premiere design computer in the world.

I keep wondering what Apple would do with those apps if they had their crack at redoing the UIs...

Even Adobe would do a better job. (CS 4 would be insane!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sea2008 View Post

I'm sure this question pops up from time to time, but has anyone heard anything about Autodesk introducing any more of their applications (specifically 3ds Max) to OS X?

It's so strange to me that the leading design applications that Autodesk does (outside of Maya) don't seem readily available on the premiere design computer in the world.

I keep wondering what Apple would do with those apps if they had their crack at redoing the UIs...

Even Adobe would do a better job. (CS 4 would be insane!)

This is an old thread that I came upon. However to those who might be interested, I took a class last fall on 3D Studio Max. I got to talking to the instructor who said that he expects 3d Studio Max, or at least a future Autodesk program based on Max, to be on the Mac at some point. He was not clear however, if Max and Maya would become one program or not. He said Autodesk was very interested in incorporating the node based system into Max. Which made me wonder if the two programs eventually would become one.

I too would be interested if anyone has heard anything at this date about Autodesk's plans for Max and Maya.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

He said Autodesk was very interested in incorporating the node based system into Max. Which made me wonder if the two programs eventually would become one.

This would be a good move as Maya is more for film and 3DS Max for gaming. As the two industries have grown closer together, so have the applications. I could see a merge in order however, I could see it taking a while to make - the applications are huge. People familiar with either interface won't like it if it changes.

I think Max has a lot of DirectX stuff though so I don't know if the Mac will benefit or suffer from a merge. The performance of Maya on the Mac vs Windows shows Autodesk prioritize Windows. Not surprising really when Macs don't really have any presence in the gaming community.

With that and AutoCAD, it's one of the few big apps are Windows only and it would still be nice to see it as a single product. It should cut down their development resources having to maintain and support two separate apps.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I highly doubt Autodesk will release 3D max or a 3D max/Maya fusion app for os x. They have been sticking to Windows for a long time, why the sudden change. I learned on Max and then I bought a Mac. Now I use Cinema 4D and I find it to be very similar to 3D Max, the interface is very close. I haven't touched 3D Max in years now. You can even follow 3D Max tutorials in Cinema 4D if you know the interface a little bit. I would try it out and not hope for 3D Max so much