importing a jpg into iMovie

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A client sent me a jpeg to put in an iMovie. I dragged it in, but it doesn't fit. Some of the lettering is cut off on the left side of the frame. I've tried several ways to resize it, but none have been successful. Suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    If you are doing widescreen DVD output, the frame resolution is 1024x576 so try and resize/crop your jpeg close to that size and then drop it in. You can do this in an image editing program if it's easier.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you are doing widescreen DVD output, the frame resolution is 1024x576 so try and resize/crop your jpeg close to that size and then drop it in. You can do this in an image editing program if it's easier.

Marvin, thanks for responding. It didn't work, but, possibly, I don't know what I"m doing or I just didn't do it quite right. I opened up the jpg in Photoshop Elements and went to Image/Resize/Image Size. According to the numbers, the image is now 1024 x 517, but there's no change in the way it looks when I drop it into iMovie. What didn't I do right? Appreciate your help. I know a lot about my little machine, but there's always something more to learn. :-)

Chris
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KidsPlayInc View Post

According to the numbers, the image is now 1024 x 517, but there's no change in the way it looks when I drop it into iMovie.

It seems imovie does some automatic cropping of some images and it seems to do it even if you uncheck the option in the preferences.

What you can do is click on the image in the timeline and go to media > photos. Then click show photo settings. Unclick the ken burns effect. Now just drag the photo around in the window and move the top slider in the floating panel for zoom. When you have it in the right place, click update.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Marvin, you're a genius! Thanks!!

Chris