I have upgraded to Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
got my retail copy of Leopard this morning in the mail box, well done Apple Aus. I've already installed the software and here a few impression:

1. Installation lasted about 2 hrs - no clean install option available, just upgraded the OS

2. Everything worked smoothly, all my files and preferences, internet fav, emails, folders, photos etc... were at the right place. Even my background theme started immediately. Impressive stuff from Apple.

3. One minor glitch so far (got so much to explore and tweak yet) was Mail program. HTTP support (I had previously installed a 3rd party software to retrieve hotmail emails from within Mail) doesn't work in Leopard yet.

4. Time Machine the marquee feature of the new OSX, takes away the pain and boredom of backing your system. I nominated my new LaCie HDD as back up destination and Leopard took over from there. Great stuff, simple elegant and above all it works! It remains to be seen if TM works with LaCie when connected to my AirPort Extreme Base Station. I haven't tried that yet, still making the initial back up via firewire.

5. Finder, completely re-worked it models after iTunes source list,s better organized and more usable than previous OSX. Much needed improvement.

a couple of minor issue that I still have to find a solution, I'm a newbie to OSX (got my 1st ever Mac 8 months ago):

a. Software Update, when I try to update the OSX it stop and give me this warning; the file "index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog" couldn't be found on the server "swscan.apple.co". Software Update can't check for updates because of network problem. The internet connection works fine, so I don't know what it causes this issue, any advice is appreciated.

b. I have 2 external HDD (LaCie) connected to airport extreme base, now they don't mount on the desktop anymore (iDisk does however) but I can see them in the airport utility. Still looking for a solution for that as well.

Overall I'm impressed with the upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

a. Software Update, when I try to update the OSX it stop and give me this warning; the file "index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog" couldn't be found on the server "swscan.apple.co". Software Update can't check for updates because of network problem. The internet connection works fine, so I don't know what it causes this issue, any advice is appreciated.

The Leopard Software Update servers were down for a while, but they should be up now. Try it again.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    it's all well and good now; software update works as it should and I can connect as administrator to my external HDDs via the finder, a much neater solution than having the disks mounted on the desktop. I must say that Time Machine is impressive, I can go into it wirelessly via airport extreme base. That feature alone is worth the price for Leopard.

Switching to Mac? Best computing decision I have ever made.