Leopard and current hardware.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone else been thinking of buying a new Mac for a fresh Leopard pre-install?

I have to say that I need a new computer, and I am tempted, but Apple just isn't making a computer I am comfortable with buying.

I usually buy PowerMacs/Mac Pro, but that thing is in a nightmarish state right now; so I actually looked at an iMac, but I'm just not comfortable buying a computer I can not choose my preferred video card in. What a freaking dilemma.

I have an old PowerMac 867 Quicksilver (minimum system for Leopard), and my latest workstation is an Alienware dual 3GHz Opteron capable of 16X SLI with a single Nvidia Quadro FX 4500. So both systems are dated and my Alienware is obviously about 20 x faster than my Mac, but the current Mac Pro is blah...old and shitty, and I'm just not an iMac guy obviously, and I'm not going to buy last years Apple workstation because that update was worse than the G5; which at the time was the whole reason I switched to the Alienware in the first place. That thing was a total disappointment because it was... well crappy comparatively.

I hate having to wait for new hardware when I never know if it's going to be a disappointment or something from Apple I'd actually buy again..

Well that's my Leopard rant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Has anyone else been thinking of buying a new Mac for a fresh Leopard pre-install?

I have to say that I need a new computer, and I am tempted, but Apple just isn't making a computer I am comfortable with buying.

I usually buy PowerMacs/Mac Pro, but that thing is in a nightmarish state right now; so I actually looked at an iMac, but I'm just not comfortable buying a computer I can not choose my preferred video card in. What a freaking dilemma.

I have an old PowerMac 867 Quicksilver (minimum system for Leopard), and my latest workstation is an Alienware dual 3GHz Opteron capable of 16X SLI with a single Nvidia Quadro FX 4500. So both systems are dated and my Alienware is obviously about 20 x faster than my Mac, but the current Mac Pro is blah...old and shitty, and I'm just not an iMac guy obviously, and I'm not going to buy last years Apple workstation because that update was worse than the G5; which at the time was the whole reason I switched to the Alienware in the first place. That thing was a total disappointment because it was... well crappy comparatively.

I hate having to wait for new hardware when I never know if it's going to be a disappointment or something from Apple I'd actually buy again..

Well that's my Leopard rant.

No, but I have been waiting to see if Apple will make a slightly smaller Mac Pro type. If nothing comes by the end of Jan 08, then I guess I will buy the overly large Mac Pro workstation to replace my G4 466 Digital Audio from Jan 01. I'm 3 years off my schedule for replacing my computer because of the overly hot G5 towers and now the workstation Mac Pro. One can only wait just so long and Windows is not an option. OS X (10.4.10) works great on my current computer, but there is a lot of technology that my current computer is waaay behind on.