No Apple / 3rd Party IR Solution for older Macs = Me, Frustrated

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I hope I've chosen the best forum for this post, since it has to do with current hardware and the lack of IR support for older G4 Macs.

Leopard upgraders are reporting that they can invoke (cmd + esc) and use Leopard's Front Row 2.0 on older (pre-Intel) without resorting to any hacks.

If FR 2.0 indeed runs with full functionality on pre-Intel Macs, then all I need for my G4 Mini is to be able to plug in a USB IR receiver to use with my Apple Remote. Yeah, but Apple offers no support or hardware solution -- nor do 3rd party IR hardware manufacturers -- for a plug and play IR receiver.

I know about KeySpan and Mira's software+hardware solutions, but why should I have to install software that has to cobble together a bridge between the IR receiver and Front Row's functionality. Why can't I just plug-and-play an IR receiver and have the Mac recognize it and communicate directly with the Apple Remote? Especially when PnP support is the only obstacle to using FR on a pre-Intel Mini.

A PnP IR receiver would be a $30 - $50 solution. Without it, the only solution is to buy a new/used Mini or an AppleTV with no optical drive, both which would be a several hundred dollars solution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ranumranum Posts: 43member
    Well, it looks like Remote Buddy software will work with the KeySpan IR Receiver and function purely as a driver for the IR hardware. $30 for Remote Buddy + however much I have to pay for a used KeySpan receiver. Not the nicest solution, but probably the best for now. \
  • Reply 2 of 2
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

Well, it looks like Remote Buddy software will work with the KeySpan IR Receiver and function purely as a driver for the IR hardware. $30 for Remote Buddy + however much I have to pay for a used KeySpan receiver. Not the nicest solution, but probably the best for now. \

I used to use a griffin airclick with front row and my old powerbook...

These days I use the airclick on my Mac Pro for VLC mostly, haven't bothered to activate front row on it