powermac g5 won't start in certain modes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have had this issue for several years and have never been able to resolve it. I do not know if it's because I am using a bluetooth keyboard, an old g4 keyboard or if the issue is something else.

When my first gen Dual G5 starts up, if I hold down the C key, or option or do any of the compo keys to start up in "safe mode" none of them work. I tried to reset the pram and that seemed to take effect because I had to reset the clock, I also reset the pmu on the board but that did nothing spectacular.

I rememebr a couple years ago I may have done something to disable the bootup from cd and safe mode but I am not sure if I actually did that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do in order to reset everything so that my mac is in a state where I can boot it up from cd, or other connected drives or in safe mode. I can't update the firmware of my ati card unless I boot in safemode.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You can boot normally and change your startup disk to your DVD in system preferences.

I seem to recall some problems with wireless keyboards doing startup keys. If you have a cheap USB nearby, I would try that too.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

You can boot normally and change your startup disk to your DVD in system preferences.

I seem to recall some problems with wireless keyboards doing startup keys. If you have a cheap USB nearby, I would try that too.

I tried using the old mac keyboard i have "usb" came with my g4. I disconnected everything from the g5 and tried the comman apple+option o+f or something like that to go into the firmware to reset it all, but the g5 won't even take that.

My only concern is that when I make backup's, let's say that I have to boot the mac from the backup "external firewire" then I won't be able to do it because I can't select my startup drive from the initial boot.