Leopard- MacFUSE and Time Machine

tkntkn
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone try a macfuse volume for time machine yet? What about using S3 (it might end up being too expensive...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

Anyone try a macfuse volume for time machine yet? What about using S3 (it might end up being too expensive...)

No luck - I just tried it. Looks like MacFuse and the sshfs are now 1.0, as well! I installed Leopard last night and then the newest version of MacFuse and sshfs as well as MacFusion (the GUI for MacFuse) this morning. MacFusion allows me to mount my server via ssh (though it doesn't show up on my desktop or in my sidebar!). (I had a lot of trouble getting the sshfs application to even mount my server... weird!). Anyway, I opened TimeMachine and it didn't recognize the mounted ssh disk as a valid drive for backups. Darn!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Okay, so here's an interesting thread I read on the Google MacFussion group. To summarize,

Quote:

* if the volume that you wish to use as a destination for Time

Machine is in a format that's unsupported by the application

* then create a disk image on the destination volume

* disk image formatted to suit Time Machine

* mount the image

* back up to the image.

http://groups.google.com/group/MacFu...d9a84a596d3961

I haven't tried it yet, but if anyone wants to give it a try, please post your experience.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I tried the above and couldn't get TM to recognize my sshfs volume as a valid disk. I've gone through the steps to get it to work over AFP, but sshfs is much faster than AFP for me, so I'd really like to get this to work!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    FWIW, I have time machine pointed to a volume mounted on another Leopard server over the network. The interesting item is that, in this case, TM created a sparse image on the remote volume to use for backup. It mounts it when needed and then unmounts it when done.