First impression slooooo

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Maybe it is me but I have two machines both within a year old, both core 2 duo. on my macbook pro I did a clean install. On my imac I did a archeive and install.

It seems to me that OSX leopard is slower than tiger. I seem to be getting the spinning ball a lot. Anyone else have this issue???

Also Time machine for me does not work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Maybe it is me but I have two machines both within a year old, both core 2 duo. on my macbook pro I did a clean install. On my imac I did a archeive and install.

It seems to me that OSX leopard is slower than tiger. I seem to be getting the spinning ball a lot. Anyone else have this issue???

That's weird, I haven't gotten the spinning ball once, apps seem to open faster for me. Although I have a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Something is definitely wrong. Almost everything I'm reading reports about state Leopard is actually snappier. I haven't heard many reports about spinning beach balls in Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Hmurch: Give it a while. Maybe Spotlight is re-indexing everything. Try a reboot as well. Mine was slow at first, but after a while was hella fast.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

You need an external drive for Time Machine.

And Leopard should be quicker. Mine is.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You need an external drive for Time Machine.

And Leopard should be quicker. Mine is.

I have an external drive for time machine and it got though a few hours and the failed.

In terms of the IMAC. it is my wifes machine and normally she does not notice anything and she thought it was slow.

I am almost tempted to start all over

It is very strange.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Faster in some things, slower in others. Expect updates soon.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    How many reboots have you done? Give it 3 and if it's still hella slow, then you have a problem. The first boot will obviously slow for reasons already noted (indexing etc).
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

One thing that will cause ball to show is if you are running time machine and have some type of VM OS like VMFusion because every time you make a change in your VM let's call it a WINDOWS VM it causes a change in the size of the virtual HD file stored on your apple file system that can be anywhere from 10gig and up. This makes time machine try and backup all that data every time a change is made.

Case in point I start windows up and download a work emails in outlook. What has happened is my virtual HD file size has changed so now time machine wants to backup my 42gig window virtual drive.

So I would recommend setting the time machine options to skip those files/folders or your system will run slow everything you use your VM OS like Windows or Linix
  • Reply 9 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Something is definitely wrong. Almost everything I'm reading reports about state Leopard is actually snappier. I haven't heard many reports about spinning beach balls in Leopard.

Indeed.

Leopard is much snappier*

*On a MacBook Pro 2.16 with 1gb of ram.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Leopard is also much snappier here. Perhaps Spotlight is reindexing.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Leopard is also much snappier here. Perhaps Spotlight is reindexing.

My MacBook ran flat out for about 2 hours reindexing spotlight, space transitiosn were disturbingly jumpy - after it finished its been running well and spaces is flawlessly quick.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Hmurch: Give it a while. Maybe Spotlight is re-indexing everything. Try a reboot as well. Mine was slow at first, but after a while was hella fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

How many reboots have you done? Give it 3 and if it's still hella slow, then you have a problem. The first boot will obviously slow for reasons already noted (indexing etc).

You're hella semi-retarded.

• Reply 13 of 19
    Brit, you're hella mean. You always never have anything reasonable or useful to say. Tragic, really.

1337 has made some valid points. Initially spotlight indexing will take some time, but after that it *is*very fast... Just enter a few letters and Boom! results all there...

On topic, Leopard is really quite fast and snappy.

I have almost never seen the beachball except with FolderShare (Rosetta).

Benalexe, something is wrong with your hard disk, RAM, or motherboard...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    yes spotlight indexing will slow the heck out of many computers. (except my Mac Pro, didn't feel a thing )

Over all it's much faster, especially spotlight. I can search something like .jpg and hit 1000+ results without a hitch.

I might actually use smart folders now.

Everything is very fast, the VRAM especially is better, no more massive hit to the HDD-beach balling.

Spaces is fast becoming useful, though not any serious crazy system changing life style, it's still a champ in places that count.

The other slow down is the one mentioned in various places like macfixit, etc. AFP. If you got a PPC networked and one drops from the AFP, you got some massive hiccup. So if you're using AFP, try to disconnect.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    This is very strange... Maybe I do have a hard drive issue. I just did an archeive and install and still the same issues. Mostly in the finder am I getting the beach ball.

Now it could be just indexing but I have a macbook pro 2.16 core 2 duo with 2 gig ram so it should not be slow.

The only thing I can think of is I did run disk warrior and maybe that did something.

I thin kI may end up doing a clean install again. Hopefully wipe everything out.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    seems teh snappy to me!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I did a clean install much better now.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    good it got fixed :-) teh snappy here too.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I have the same problem. The spinning ball is a plague. I'm running it on a Quad, powerPC G5.. and the latency a problem. I wanna go back.. or get an intel and hope I see less of that ball. Where I used to see it once week.. I see it about 20 times a day.