Finder column view: How do you sort by name or date?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought I read that you can sort by date or name when you are in column view in the 10.5 finder. How do you do this?



And can you set up spaces so that each space has it's own finder settings (i.e. background, dock position, etc?). You can sort of do this with Solaris virtual windows.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    I thought I read that you can sort by date or name when you are in column view in the 10.5 finder. How do you do this?



    You can. Just switch to the view you want and press Apple+J. You will see the sorting option there.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    And can you set up spaces so that each space has it's own finder settings (i.e. background, dock position, etc?). You can sort of do this with Solaris virtual windows.



    I'm pretty sure this is not possible.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post


    You can. Just switch to the view you want and press Apple+J. You will see the sorting option there.



    Great! Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post


    I'm pretty sure this is not possible.



    That's too bad. I was expecting this based on my past use of Solaris.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    That's too bad. I was expecting this based on my past use of Solaris.



    The "Classic" virtual desktop implementation is based around the idea to mimic multiple logins of the same user. Apple does not follow this approach, and for a reason: this would make some nice features of their implementation inconsistent or hard/impossible to use. Examples: you can switch spaces by clicking the application icon in the dock -> the dock should be one and the same. If they allow for different positioning one could expect "different docs" and adding/removing items there will become confusing. Having an application available on all docs (e.g. iChat or Skype) is a very nice feature but it would conflict with the idea of mimicking multiple logins. Combining all runnung apps into one space may also become messy.

    I was involved in dealing with new feature requests for an application and I would tell you that many things which look good idea on the surface will create a mess over time, so these should not be implemented without serious analysis beforehand.



    Edit: And one more thing: I can not imagine a person who will feel comfortable having the dock here and there over the place. All mac users I've seen prefer the dock in the same position and with same settings. This automates accessing the applications. I have my own convention for ordering applications in the dock and feel very uncomfortable when helping other people with something on their macs even if the dock is in the same position let alone when it is placed elsewhere. I think that the possibility of placing the dock on different side would be a very bad idea and I would reject such a request if this depends on me.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post


    The "Classic" virtual desktop implementation is based around the idea to mimic multiple logins of the same user. Apple does not follow this approach, and for a reason: this would make some nice features of their implementation inconsistent or hard/impossible to use. Examples: you can switch spaces by clicking the application icon in the dock -> the dock should be one and the same. If they allow for different positioning one could expect "different docs" and adding/removing items there will become confusing. Having an application available on all docs (e.g. iChat or Skype) is a very nice feature but it would conflict with the idea of mimicking multiple logins. Combining all runnung apps into one space may also become messy.

    I was involved in dealing with new feature requests for an application and I would tell you that many things which look good idea on the surface will create a mess over time, so these should not be implemented without serious analysis beforehand.



    You're right about the dock. I mentioned it just as an example without thinking.
Sign In or Register to comment.