leopard dock icons

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As with 10.4, I went into my programs drive and draged my applications folder to my dock to have easy access to opening it up. Unfortunately, when I did that, the icon changed to the "address book" icon which of course is the first application in the applications folder.

Does anyone know how to change the icon so it just shows the "A" like the applications folder shows in the main drive?

I simply want the blue icon in my dock in order to prevent people from getting confused with the address book shortcut.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I have 2 theories-1.-you could find a picture of an "A" on the internet and put it the the applications folder with a name like"AAAAAA" so it would go before the Address book.

2.-You could switch the setting to sort by date created, so it would show the Front Ro icon,(at least on mine) which you don't need to keep on your dock, so people wouldn't get confused.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macgeek33 View Post

I have 2 theories-1.-you could find a picture of an "A" on the internet and put it the the applications folder with a name like"AAAAAA" so it would go before the Address book.

2.-You could switch the setting to sort by date created, so it would show the Front Ro icon,(at least on mine) which you don't need to keep on your dock, so people wouldn't get confused.

thanks...

I was thinking of your first option to jsut make a folder called AA or something and actually take the image "icon" from the applications folder so it would show up like that.

It's jsut weird how all of a suden, if yo drag the folder to the dock, it changes the folder look. WIsh I could simply disable that. If you go to the get info on the applications folder, it clearly shows what the folder icon looks like. Wish there was a disable or enable of this option.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ya....as far s i can i can tell there isnt.....sorry
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dd,

Did you try creating a folder, calling 'Apps', say, moving your apps to it, and then moving 'Apps' folder to the dock? Good luck. I don't think these icons changing in the dock makes much sense, either.

I have the same trouble with the icons changing when the are moved to the dock. I have my HD in the dock and after installing 10.5 it appeared as one of those blah blue folders(with an 'A', ironically enough), and does so everytime I replace it with the regular Mac HD icon. This has become my main Leopard pet peeve.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post

dd,

Did you try creating a folder, calling 'Apps', say, moving your apps to it, and then moving 'Apps' folder to the dock? Good luck. I don't think these icons changing in the dock makes much sense, either.

I have the same trouble with the icons changing when the are moved to the dock. I have my HD in the dock and after installing 10.5 it appeared as one of those blah blue folders(with an 'A', ironically enough), and does so everytime I replace it with the regular Mac HD icon. This has become my main Leopard pet peeve.

I tried your advice and although it kind of works, you still see the next app in the app folder in behind it. Transparency is nice but I simply want the folder with the A in it. Maybe in a fix or something eh...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Here's what I did: In Applications, create a new folder. Name it Apps. Click on the original Applications folder and hit command "I". Click on the icon and copy it. Then do the same for your new Apps folder. Click on the icon and paste. The new Apps folder then becomes the first folder in the Applications folder and shows exactly what you want in the Dock view.

Edit: Name the Apps folder starting with a space. This keeps it as the first folder in the Applications folder.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My problem with the new Stacks is that, in the WWDC '07 developer's beta, you could grab a few random apps, say the various Office programs or all of your favorite utilities, and drag them to the main Dock area, and they would become a custom Stack. When Leopard is finally released, I come to find out that you can only makes Stacks out of a folder.

WWDC '07 Stacks were sooooo much better.