OS X on an iBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a dual USB iBook, 500mhz with 256mb of ram. I wanted to know how much of an effect extra RAM has on OS X performance. Right now its pretty good, but with any more than a few programs open, it goes really slow. This doesn't happen on 9.2. I'm thinking about upgrading to 384mb. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I think RAM is the best, cheapest upgrade you can do for OSX performance. Having said that, I don't know how much difference an increase from 256 to 384 will give you. It won't be as dramatic an improvement as going from, say, 128 to 256. Why not just shoot the moon and go for 512?

Of course, I have 384mb myself on this thing (one week old iBook 600) and I think it's pretty slick in OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Hopefully, as the updates keep coming (10.2) the speed will be more acceptable. I have 256 in mine. What's the max? There's only 2 slots right, so I'd have to ditch one of the 128's, that sucks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Hopefully, as the updates keep coming (10.2) the speed will be more acceptable. I have 256 in mine. What's the max? There's only 2 slots right, so I'd have to ditch one of the 128's, that sucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One RAM chip is soldered. If you got the 64MB version, you have one slot free (up to +512MB ram, total 576). If you got the 128version, then you can add 512 to that... total 640.

So, from what I guess is that you have 128 base, to which you can add 256 or 512.

You can always sell the 128 you already have on ebay or something. Or maybe sell it back to some local computer store.

ZO
  • Reply 4 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well I've got 384MB on my 500MHz iBook and OS X runs pretty good. I really don't have any slowdowns like you mentioned.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Oh yeah.... with the soldered 128mb, and only one free slot, it's impossible to have 512mb total in one of the new iBooks. It would have to be 384 or 640.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm so jealous of y'all. I've got a Rev. A Tangerine iBook (300Mhz G3) with a 3G HD, and 288 Megs of RAM. But she runs just fine on 10.1.