Things For College

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am planning on purchasing a Macbook for college and I wanted to get a laptop bag that is large enough to carry some accessories and some books and I was wondering if someone knew of a nice one. I'm looking for a messenger bag if that is possible. Also I'm looking for a nice pair of noise canceling headphones for when I go as well if anyone knows of any that would be nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    This is the sort of thing that I have:

Case Logic

Then I just toss my notebook in my back-pack. I would suggest a back-pack for two reasons: having two shoulder straps is a must for all of the books you'll be carrying around -- no point in turning into Quasimodo before you hit 20 -- and backpacks are less of a target for theft (which does happen at universities) because most back-packs don't carry computers: people who carry computers around seem to advertise that they're doing so by storing them in things like these -- seriously, why else would you have a briefcase like that?

As far as noise-canceling headphones go, I've always liked Shure. They are not noise canceling, per se, but they're sound isolating and work great!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ok maybe I should revise a little of this. For a backpack I would like something that I don't have to worry about a lot of extra things, I just want something that I can put my laptop and it's accessories in with some books as well. I've looked at portfolio things before and I really don't like them. As for the headphones I'm looking for those around the ear headphones because earbuds don't work well for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

This is the sort of thing that I have:

Case Logic

Then I just toss my notebook in my back-pack. I would suggest a back-pack for two reasons: having two shoulder straps is a must for all of the books you'll be carrying around -- no point in turning into Quasimodo before you hit 20 -- and backpacks are less of a target for theft (which does happen at universities) because most back-packs don't carry computers: people who carry computers around seem to advertise that they're doing so by storing them in things like these -- seriously, why else would you have a briefcase like that?

As far as noise-canceling headphones go, I've always liked Shure. They are not noise canceling, per se, but they're sound isolating and work great!

• Reply 3 of 4
    You probably don't need a big backpack, but a backpack with a built-in sleeve will be your best bet. You probably won't actually need to carry that many books around, but it would be helpful to carry two thick textbooks books, a notebook, and your laptop. I bought one recently from North Face that has a sleeve. It's on the bigger side, but they sell smaller versions of the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    i have seen some people with the stm backpack on campus...seems alright...i think jansport makes some more discrete looking laptop backpacks. although backpacks are more discrete, they can also be a pain in the ass. everytime i get on the and off the bus (to and from campus) i have work my arms around the straps. seems like it shouldn't be that bad but when you have headphones wires getting caught up and people squishes next you it sucks to see someone sling the messenger bag around and walk off. just things to consider. also, if you sit down with the backpack on you could squish your laptop and mess the screen up.

if you are interested in the stm bag...you can look at it and some others on apple's store web site.

hope it helps.