External Superdrive isn't burning

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have an external Superdrive that isn't burning. It will spin it's wheels for hours on end and make me a new coaster. I returned it to the place of purchase, a business I have dealt with on good terms for years. They tested it, gave me a call and said it was burning files just fine on their computer.

But it isn't on mine. The computer recognizes that the drive is there and that it is capable of burning DVD and CD.

Tired of making coasters. Too slippery anyway. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    A few quick questions

1. which mac do you have?

2. which brand/model of external superdrive?

3. which apps have you tried using to burn to the external superdrive?

4. which brand of media are you using? eg. SL DVD, DL DVD, CD

If there are any error messages please post these as these can also leed to fix for you.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

A few quick questions

1. which mac do you have?

2. which brand/model of external superdrive?

3. which apps have you tried using to burn to the external superdrive?

4. which brand of media are you using? eg. SL DVD, DL DVD, CD

If there are any error messages please post these as these can also leed to fix for you.

I have a G4 Yikes that has an upgraded 1 Gig processor, 700+ ram. The external burner didn't work with the original processor either.

The brand/model is OWC Mercury FireWire/USB2 D111 DVD+/-RW.

I've tried every app under the sun for burning - iTunes, iDVD, burning from the finder, Toast, etc.

And I've tried using both SL DVD, DL DVD and CD. Many many coasters were created. I've used small simple files to burn, nothing even close the size limit the disks can handle. I work on a 2.66 GHz dual-core intel Mac and I burn on it's superdrive all the time, from simple file back up to after hours iMovie/iDvd projects that I can't burn at home! My external hard drive was one of the best purchases I have made for my ancient beloved Mac.