Crappy Wireless router

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
im looking for a wireless router that has either ajustible or really bad range. Its for a dorm room and we arent allowed to have wireless so we just want people to be able to connect to it that are in our room. thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    LOL. Get any wireless router, and lock access via password/MAC filtering. Then, deny that you have it. Claim it is your neighbors. Hide it under something.

Nobody can prove it is yours. Well, nobody is smart enough to prove it is yours. Maybe turn it off when it is not in use.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    well they can tell where the router is connected to what room the ethernet cord is in.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Are you allowed routers of any kind? Because they can tell if a router with NAT (network address translation) is connected to an ethernet socket by inspecting packets going to/from that port.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    we can't have routers or multiple people on the same port
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Wow, your IT department must consist of a bunch of assholes.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    You're pretty much SOL, but if you want wireless, you can connect the device as an access-point. It will only serve one user, however.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

we can't have routers or multiple people on the same port

Do they state what the "penalties" are for using routers?

Like I said, if they really care about this rule, they can tell if you are using a router. If the worst that can happen if you use one is that they formally ask you not to, I'd start using one and see what happens.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    we weren't supposed to have routers/multiple people connected through one port in halls last year, but i had internet sharing enabled on my mac (ethernet to airport) so that my friends could use their laptops in my room and notheing ever came of it!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Can you just make it a closed/hidden network that requires one to type in the name of it to find it, and then password protect it? Or is there still some way to detect that?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Sounds like your IT department are nazis who probably charge per connection, rather than including internet access in your fees.

If you want to share an internet connection, then, it seems like it's going to be tough to do.

If, however, you just want to have a group of friends over for a fragfest LAN party, you don't need the internet. Just create a LAN and unhook from your WAN port.

ya they charge by connection. i know that if you are caught downloading illegally they disconnect your internet with no chance of getting it back. I dont think they care as much for wireless. If i just wanted to use it myself would i be able to password protect it and use a name such as "freenet" (which is what my city's broadband connection is called so everyone is expecting it to be there) (p.s. i go to KU) and no one would notice or could the ITs tell what im doing? a cord is just a hassle
  • Reply 11 of 14
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    ya... i was thinking about a feraday cage lol. But really, if i create one and name it "Freenet" since freenet will be picked up by any computer anywhere in my town, it will be expected and they probably wont notice anyway no matter how large the range is. Im just worried about the actually IT guys noticing. Could that work?