AirPort Extreme USB printer issues in Leopard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm about to pull my nosehairs out. I'm trying to print to my USB printer attached to my AirPort Extreme. It was working just fine before I upgraded to Leopard. Now, it's completely unresponsive. Epson, the printer manufacturer, updated their print drivers yesterday & I was able to get it to print when connected directly to my Mac. Still nothing when connected to the AirPort, however. I've tried all the suggestions in Apple's tips for debugging AirPort Extreme printing problems with no success. When I run the Network Diagnostics from within the print queue, all the little Network Status dots are green except the last "Server" one and the error message says that Network Diagnostics was able to connect to the internet, but not to the server. I'd greatly appreciate assistance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmeyerfail View Post

I'm about to pull my nosehairs out. I'm trying to print to my USB printer attached to my AirPort Extreme. It was working just fine before I upgraded to Leopard. Now, it's completely unresponsive. Epson, the printer manufacturer, updated their print drivers yesterday & I was able to get it to print when connected directly to my Mac. Still nothing when connected to the AirPort, however. I've tried all the suggestions in Apple's tips for debugging AirPort Extreme printing problems with no success. When I run the Network Diagnostics from within the print queue, all the little Network Status dots are green except the last "Server" one and the error message says that Network Diagnostics was able to connect to the internet, but not to the server. I'd greatly appreciate assistance.

I am having this same problem and can't seem to print at all. Did you ever figure out a solution? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cardinole View Post

Did you ever figure out a solution? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Nope. I've gotten nowhere. It's pretty frustrating. I did just get some suggestions from the printer manufacturer, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. If they work, I'll certainly let you know.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Some people with the same issue, with a fix that might work for you

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5796385
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigred View Post

Some people with the same issue, with a fix that might work for you

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5796385

Thanks, bigred. This thread had escaped my attention. I'll give this a look.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmeyerfail View Post

Thanks, bigred. This thread had escaped my attention. I'll give this a look.

Well, none of those suggestions did any good.

I got a response from the printer manufacturer, Espon, that was less than helpful: "The printer is designed to work with a direct USB connection to the computer. Since it works when you do have it directly connected we suggest you contact Apple to walk you through setting it up through the airport."

So, I finally broke down and called Apple. Three hours and two minutes later, my printer was working. The fix was remarkably simple, and should only have taken about 5 minutes.

Instead of using the manufacturer's latest print driver, I switched to the backup Gutenprint driver for the printer which comes with Leopard. That worked! Amazingly simple.

So, I don't know if this is a weird quirk of Leopard and Epson was just polite about the whole thing, or if they're just unwilling to own up to the fact that their latest print driver really isn't fully compatible with Leopard. And, at this point, I guess I don't really care too much anymore. My AEBS printer is working again---that's all I really care about.

Hope this information is helpful to anyone else with this problem.