Discs not mounting consistently

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Discs not mounting consistently

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but my searches were unfruitful.

Ever since installing Leopard, I've noticed it is having problems consistently mounting discs, specifically my external USB drive (for Time Machine). Sometimes I plug it in and it shows up as a disc on my desktop (and viewable within Finder and by Time Machine); other times I'll plug it in an it doesn't show up any where (even after restarting OSX).

Any thoughts?

Not sure this is related, but I also noticed that a .dmg file I downloaded failed to mount (just got an error message). This time, when I restarted OSX when I tried launching it again, it worked.

Finding Leopard a bit buggy...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Sorry I don't know the answer.

Since i have a similar problem I'm gonna post it here to not start a new thread about it.

MBP CD (not C2D) 2ghz / 2gig RAM

I just upgraded my internal HD to a bigger one and I have put the old one in a usb2.0 external enclosure.

When I just swapped them in the computer store, I had tested the system by starting up from the external harddisk. (holding down 'alt' to select startup disk at computer startup) It has 10.4.10 on it.

That went ok, logged in, MBP says I have an unreadable disk and asks to initialize the new internal HD.

That also went ok.

So I thought it all works and I go home from the computer shop.

At home, I installed 10.4 & I attached the usb external disk to get user data from it (40gb music transfer) and it does mount.

Meanwhile, I did al the software updates. (directly to 10.4.11) & I get a HD reading/write error probably because the computer went to sleep after 15 mins. Updates were done, asking to restart the computer.

I restart and from then on the ext HD disappeared.

System profiler doesn't see the disk, starting up with the 'alt' key doesnt see the external disk.

So my mac is responding like there is no external HD attached.

The ext HD does start to spin when I attach it.

Now what? Does it have anything to do with permissions? The OSX update?

I also have a G5, doesn't mount there either.

I suspect/hope it is the usb enclosure that got fried...

I really want this to get working again because most recent data is on that disk.

Good thing I have made another backup!

Any help much appreciated!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I decided to put my old HD in my laptop to see if it broke down or not.

So I opened up the external enclosure and guess what, I heard something fall out of it.

It was a small piece of metal which probably fried something in there.

Tested the old HD and it took a while but it started up.

When I just logged in, the HD went crazy, seems it was indexing the HD so I could use spotlight & who knows where indexing is for...

Anyways seems I answered my own problem...

Conclusion: Evil enclosure trying to kill my HD...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I have seen this on a iMac and MacBook. The problem seems to be the worst with CDs/DVDs.

I never had a problem in the past, but now many discs will not mount in the Finder. However, some will on a second or third try. Odd.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    is it worth checking on the drive makers site if the drive needs a firmware update to work correctly with leopard
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

I have seen this on a iMac and MacBook. The problem seems to be the worst with CDs/DVDs.

I never had a problem in the past, but now many discs will not mount in the Finder. However, some will on a second or third try. Odd.

That's probably due to scratches and dust on the lens of the cd reader, it hasn't got a lot to do with HD's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tootlek View Post

is it worth checking on the drive makers site if the drive needs a firmware update to work correctly with leopard

Could be, but the external enclosure did mount when I was in the shop, and I didn't install leopard yet so my guess still is that the enclosure got fried.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post

That's probably due to scratches and dust on the lens of the cd reader, it hasn't got a lot to do with HD's.

Could be, but the external enclosure did mount when I was in the shop, and I didn't install leopard yet so my guess still is that the enclosure got fried.

Dust is always a possibility. However, there discs are stored in cases and rarely used. It seems like a stretch to assume that dust is the culprit.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It could also be poorly designed discs.

I used to have a brand which started to fall apart after some time .

The reflective layer started to loosen without even using the discs.

Since then, I use harddrives.

CD's are on the way out just like casette tapes 20 years ago.