Purchasing Advice: 20" Alu iMac or 24" White iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I am in the fun position of shopping for another Mac. Our 12" iBook G4 has lasted us very well since we bought it in '04, but we are ready for something faster, newer, and with a bigger screen.

I have seen the old 24" 2.16ghz iMac for as low as $1299. The new 2ghz iMac 20" is $1199. This begs the question: which one to buy??? The specs seem about the same. The 24" iMac only has 128mb video card which doesn't seem like enough for a screen that large. Other than that, they seem to spec out similarly, with the 24" iMac outpacing the 20" aluiMac in some tests (found benchmarks online).

You may notice that I am leaning towards the 24." The wife loves the look of the new iMacs, but I am concerned with typical Rev A issues. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Neither.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Sorry for that post as I'm not trying to be a smarta** but if you haven't noticed the new iMac's are having major video driver issues so if I we're you which I wish I was I would hold off on your purchase for now.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    For the same money. I would go for the 24-incher. I love the way the old iMacs look. Unless you're a hardcore gamer, 128MB of video RAM should be plenty.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Can you please post a link to the benchmarks comparing the two?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thagomizer View Post

Can you please post a link to the benchmarks comparing the two?

here you go: http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firs...arks/index.php

the 24" is right in line with the 20" entry-level imac, although the old one seems to do better with frame rate/gaming stuff.

i still haven't bought anything. maybe some refurb aluiMacs will hit the apple store soon.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The new 20" LCDs are supposedly a big step down in quality from previous models. That combined with the glossy screens of the new models and I would be looking at the last revision 24" models, especially at that low of a price.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

here you go: http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firs...arks/index.php

the 24" is right in line with the 20" entry-level imac, although the old one seems to do better with frame rate/gaming stuff.

i still haven't bought anything. maybe some refurb aluiMacs will hit the apple store soon.

Thanks. I had convinced someone to get the 2.16 24" iMac for $1299 at PCConnection a couple days ago... good to know it is still a competitive machine.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    I've just bought a white 24" 2.16ghz iMac from ebay and am waiting for delivery. I bought this instead of the new 20" 2.ghz purely for the matte screen. It's prob not a big issue for most people but the ultra glossy screen would likely be a problem in the enviroment where it'll be used. Plus I get a huge screen and two more years applecare for the price of the cheapest 20" Alu iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proxy View Post

I've just bought a white 24" 2.16ghz iMac from ebay and am waiting for delivery. I bought this instead of the new 20" 2.ghz purely for the matte screen. It's prob not a big issue for most people but the ultra glossy screen would likely be a problem in the enviroment where it'll be used. Plus I get a huge screen and two more years applecare for the price of the cheapest 20" Alu iMac.

Was it new or used? and how much did you save?

I'd love a new 24" but no way am I going to buy one of the aluminium versions.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Am in London UK.

Any suggestions as to where to get top spec white iMac 24" now?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Was it new or used? and how much did you save?

I'd love a new 24" but no way am I going to buy one of the aluminium versions.

I paid just over £800 and it was in mint condition. The screen is shockingly crisp and bright and the iMac is whisper quiet even with both cores maxed out while encoding video for hours. Can't recommend getting one highly enough and I've saved myself a fair bit of money over buying new. This one even has another two years of Applecare.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I love the looks of the new aluminum iMacs('iMac 360' ) but with no end in sight to the freeze issue, I'm going to wait a while longer before getting one. I may just wait until Penryns are put in them. I bet they put new video cards in them at that time as well. If I really wanted or needed one now, I'd get the old white iMac.