Outlook for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently switched from PC to Mac. I have Entourage and Address book, but I really really prefer the format of Outlook. I will only be using it for the contacts/notes section, not an email database. But I love the ease of the contacts. Can anyone suggest a similar program for Mac that I could adapt to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Outlook 2001 was last version of Microsoft's communications client for the Mac. It ran under MacOS 9, but not Classic. For MacOS X users, Microsoft provides that POS Entourage. Unless you have to use Entourage to access an Exchange server, my advice to you is to embrace the non-Microsoft options available on the Mac. Personally, I love Mail. If you don't, then try Thunderbird for some other email client.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does Entourage work with Outlook? I keep reading that they "enhance compatibility" every few months for the past 5 years....but does it simply work? IE get email, do the calendar, and invitations and contacts? My work uses Outlook, just like everyone elses'. I'm going to request a Mac in a year or two when we get new computers and if Entourage can do Outlook that would be really really nice.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Outlook and Entourage are both communication clients. You question is like asking if Mail works with Thunderbird. Both Outlook and Entourage work with Exchange servers. However, Entourage is much less proficient. Outlook and Entourage are not file-compatible. In particular, Entourage cannot read Outlook .pst archives and Outlook cannot read .rge archives from Entourage. I understand that Thunderbird can be used as an intermediary to get .pst files into Entourage.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Outlook and Entourage are both communication clients. You question is like asking if Mail works with Thunderbird. Both Outlook and Entourage work with Exchange servers. However, Entourage is much less proficient. Outlook and Entourage are not file-compatible. In particular, Entourage cannot read Outlook .pst archives and Outlook cannot read .rge archives from Entourage. I understand that Thunderbird can be used as an intermediary to get .pst files into Entourage.

It's all politics. If M$ would allow full compatibility of the MacOS with Exchange server, it would be a serious leverage for OSX in the corporate world. I know of at least two companies who would switch to OSX if that would happen.

Same with Office, BTW (Access).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Although Entourage is an okay PIM+email client, I advice migrating to Mac OS X's built-in Address Book and iCal. Many applications (e.g., Adium, Quicken) and products (e.g., iPod, iPhone) integrate with Address Book and iCal but not with other PIMs. Although some will work with Entourage either out-of-the-box or through third party plug-in, the support seems to be waning. As for Thunderbird, it's really more of an email client with rudimentary contact management thrown in.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    USE MAIL!! Embrace Apple software!!! You bought a mac you might as well try mail, plus its soo easy to use and its intergrated with address book on OS X too!