Leopard Install

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have installed leopard today, and i am sorry, but i can NOT share the excitement that much! first of all: i installed over tiger, because that was on my macbook. after installing the OS my mac book rebootet and - froze! i resettet it and again: blue screen, nothing happens. i had to reboot about 5 times THEN slowly the login screen appeared. my next cool experience: one window opened and wanted to install the wificonnection. i did that, but under this window another window (part of the controlpanel?) wanted to ALSO install the wifi. strange. next strange thing: i clicked on safari and it crashed. leopard asked me if i want to send a report to apple and reboot. so i did. again: safari crashed. i later worked out: i now have TWO safaris on my macbook! no clue why. looking around comes the next suprise: my controlpanel has the old icon. strange. i clicked it but it is the NEW controlpanel. searching around on the harddisk i found another controlpanel with the RIGHT (new) icon. i clicked it, but nothing happens. shall i worry? is it normal, that an os has two control panels and the new one refuses to work? however, let's not be confused by such minor details. here go the visual improovements: the new folder icons are ugly. they look like windows 3.11. my desktop is blue (because blue is a relaxing color) but the blue of the new folders is a different one and it looks tasteless. ok, changed the background to grass (like the one in vista! yuck!) unfortunately now my menu bar looks REALLY ugly. it is translucent and difficult to read. this is defenetly worse than it was before. as a next step i looked into adresses. still it is impossible to see a telephone number right next to a name. that would be very handy, because the less you have to click, the better. the adress-program is now really ugly. the brushed metal look is gone, and also the space that was colored in the brushed metal. those pixels are gone, everything now looks really squased, and the group icons glue to the left end of the window. icall features the same wrong optical style. for some strange reason many programs take forever to start, some don't even start (like isync). no clue what i did wrong, maybe i am evil because i made an "update" instead of installing on a blank new harddisk. however, i am not really impressed so far. i like coverflow and spaces, but i am not convinced that those two improvements make a new operating system already...

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post


    i have installed leopard today, and i am sorry, but i can NOT share the excitement that much! first of all: i installed over tiger, because that was on my macbook. after installing the OS my mac book rebootet and - froze! i resettet it and again: blue screen, nothing happens. i had to reboot about 5 times THEN slowly the login screen appeared. my next cool experience: one window opened and wanted to install the wificonnection. i did that, but under this window another window (part of the controlpanel?) wanted to ALSO install the wifi. strange. next strange thing: i clicked on safari and it crashed. leopard asked me if i want to send a report to apple and reboot. so i did. again: safari crashed. i later worked out: i now have TWO safaris on my macbook! no clue why. looking around comes the next suprise: my controlpanel has the old icon. strange. i clicked it but it is the NEW controlpanel. searching around on the harddisk i found another controlpanel with the RIGHT (new) icon. i clicked it, but nothing happens. shall i worry? is it normal, that an os has two control panels and the new one refuses to work? however, let's not be confused by such minor details. here go the visual improovements: the new folder icons are ugly. they look like windows 3.11. my desktop is blue (because blue is a relaxing color) but the blue of the new folders is a different one and it looks tasteless. ok, changed the background to grass (like the one in vista! yuck!) unfortunately now my menu bar looks REALLY ugly. it is translucent and difficult to read. this is defenetly worse than it was before. as a next step i looked into adresses. still it is impossible to see a telephone number right next to a name. that would be very handy, because the less you have to click, the better. the adress-program is now really ugly. the brushed metal look is gone, and also the space that was colored in the brushed metal. those pixels are gone, everything now looks really squased, and the group icons glue to the left end of the window. icall features the same wrong optical style. for some strange reason many programs take forever to start, some don't even start (like isync). no clue what i did wrong, maybe i am evil because i made an "update" instead of installing on a blank new harddisk. however, i am not really impressed so far. i like coverflow and spaces, but i am not convinced that those two improvements make a new operating system already...



    If you are looking for help, I would suggest that you do a little editing and present your issues in a readable fashion. Proper paragraphing would help considerably.



    Not knowing what 'Macbook' and how it was configured, makes it difficult to even know where to begin. A lot more info is needed.



    However, based on your previous post it appears that you have a bug up your butt. Suggest you get rid of the attitude or you won't get much assistance from here.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post


    i have installed leopard today, and i am sorry, but i can NOT share the excitement that much! first of all: i installed over tiger, because that was on my macbook. after installing the OS my mac book rebootet and - froze! i resettet it and again: blue screen, nothing happens. i had to reboot about 5 times THEN slowly the login screen appeared. my next cool experience: one window opened and wanted to install the wificonnection.



    OK this has me concerned. I just received my Leopard Family pack today. I have 3 Macs to upgrade. A G5 iMac and 2 MBPs (Core Duo) all with Tiger 10.4.10 on them. If I screw up my wife's iMac, she'll kill me. I've never experienced a problem upgrading a previous release of OS X so this report surprises me. I'll make sure I do a backup to FW disks before performing the install of Leopard, but will I don't want to end up with all kinds of problems.



    Is anyone else seeing problems upgrading a Tiger system to Leopard?



    Mark
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Dodel View Post


    OK this has me concerned. I just received my Leopard Family pack today. I have 3 Macs to upgrade. A G5 iMac and 2 MBPs (Core Duo) all with Tiger 10.4.10 on them. If I screw up my wife's iMac, she'll kill me. I've never experienced a problem upgrading a previous release of OS X so this report surprises me. I'll make sure I do a backup to FW disks before performing the install of Leopard, but will I don't want to end up with all kinds of problems.



    Is anyone else seeing problems upgrading a Tiger system to Leopard?



    Mark



    Nope, as i already said in this forum, I upgraded 5 Macs ranging from an old iBook G4 (which now runs better than the day i bought it) to a new latest Mac Book Pro. All upgraded perfectly. Must be an issue with your Set up.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Dodel View Post




    Is anyone else seeing problems upgrading a Tiger system to Leopard?



    Mark



    I did have an odd problem I've never had before.



    I have several HDD's connected to the system I upgraded. Three of them had 10.4 installed.



    I installed 10.5 on a drive with no OS. The other installations of 10.4 ceased to function properly.



    But when I upgraded each one, using archive and install, preserving users, they worked fine with 10.5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I did have an odd problem I've never had before.



    I have several HDD's connected to the system I upgraded. Three of them had 10.4 installed.



    I installed 10.5 on a drive with no OS. The other installations of 10.4 ceased to function properly.



    But when I upgraded each one, using archive and install, preserving users, they worked fine with 10.5.



    Could you clarify what "ceased to function properly" means because I was thinking of using an external drive with Leopard on it as a test bed before I fully move onto 10.5. Though the more I hear of Leopard the less likely I am going to upgrade from Tiger.



    The lure of a few "features" are offset by too many GUI minuses. Besides which the overall appearance is IMHO alarmingly ugly and depressing.



    Is this Steve's new dark view of the universe, aging, post cancer, anti-teachers and other untermensch? You know the one like Hitler had in his last days when Germany had failed, wasn't good enough for him and deserved to be levelled to the ground.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Odds are you won't return to see the replies, but did you have APE installed?



    Was your Leopard DVD a legal retail copy?



    Paragraphs are your friend. It took me 10 minutes to read your stream-of-consciousness post.



    Since you say "programs" instead of "applications" I am going to guess that you are from the PC world.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Can't say enough, and it always surprises me that people don't do it, but: If you have to do real work on the computer you're upgrading, back it up first with something like Superduper, and if a severe catastrophe happens, boot from the external backup, and voila -- in a little while, you're no worse for wear. Me, except for a widget that isn't working properly, I've had a very smooth transition... but I would never have installed without that backup.



    External drives are cheap. If you're using your computer for any kind of work (or if there's anything of value on it, say -- photos or music), you should have a backup drive.



    Rant ended.
Sign In or Register to comment.