Airport Won't Turn On after Leopard install

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I completed my archive and install of Leopard on my 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro and Airport will not turn on from the toolbar or in System Preferences. The icon remains empty and does not even show any networks as being available. I know many people have encountered issues of intermittent connectivity, or slow speeds, but I am just plain not able to turn Airport on at all. I Repaired my Permissions/Restarted, ran Software Update and reset my PRAM. I am all out of ideas at this point. Has anyone else even experienced this specific issue, or am I going to have to wait for an Apple fix?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    take it to a Genius Bar (in an Apple store)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Is System Profiler listing your AirPort card under the Network section? If not then this hint probably won't help you. Begin by opening the Network prefpane and near the top click on the Location menu. Select 'Edit Locations...' from the list and in the following window highlight the Automatic location and click the minus(-) symbol. Then click the plus(+) symbol and name the new entry Home or whatever floats your boat. See that Done button sitting off on its own in the bottom right corner? Click it. At this point the AirPort listing should switch from Off to On. You can now proceed with setting up AirPort with your personal network settings. Hope this helped.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hi,

Thanks.

Anyone know WHY the default Automatic won't work?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post

Is System Profiler listing your AirPort card under the Network section? If not then this hint probably won't help you. Begin by opening the Network prefpane and near the top click on the Location menu. Select 'Edit Locations...' from the list and in the following window highlight the Automatic location and click the minus(-) symbol. Then click the plus(+) symbol and name the new entry Home or whatever floats your boat. See that Done button sitting off on its own in the bottom right corner? Click it. At this point the AirPort listing should switch from Off to On. You can now proceed with setting up AirPort with your personal network settings. Hope this helped.

• Reply 4 of 4
    I have the same problem, as do others.. please check the Apple Discussions forum at

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7264919

for updates on this topic.

It looks like maybe this is a Leopard issue, or possibly an issue with the airport cards in other new Macbooks.. I have a brand new Macbook Pro (May 2008) that has this problem, as do others - my airport only works when I am plugged in, then when i unplug the computer, airport will work for a while, then turn off, unable to turn on again (the icon in the upper right menu bar becomes a blank white triangle). Once this happens, airport will not turn on again EVEN IF I PLUG IT BACK IN. The location trick (mentioned in the thread above) works to get the Airport working again when I restart plugged in, but of course it will stop working again if I unplug it again.