Mail & Hotmail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Greetings from Sunny Scotland!

Being a recent convert to Mac's I need some help with e-mail

1./ My trial to .Mac has finished and I now cannot send anything from my Mac Mail account, it keeps asking me to re-enter my password. Do I need to have a .Mac active account for mail to work?

2/. With the above in mind, can Hotmail work with the Apple mail so I can have everything in the place?

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAPCOR1 View Post

Greetings from Sunny Scotland!

Being a recent convert to Mac's I need some help with e-mail

1./ My trial to .Mac has finished and I now cannot send anything from my Mac Mail account, it keeps asking me to re-enter my password. Do I need to have a .Mac active account for mail to work?

2/. With the above in mind, can Hotmail work with the Apple mail so I can have everything in the place?

Sorry if these questions are pretty basic

Hello from an ex-resident of Auld Reekie, and welcome.

You will need to subscribe to .Mac if you wish to continue using your .Mac e-mail address. But Apple Mail, like other mail clients, will work with any POP- or IMAP-enabled e-mail server e.g. Gmail. That's how I use it, and I'm no .Mac subscriber.

Hotmail is no longer POP-enabled, so no, you can't set up Hotmail through Apple Mail. Hotmail sucks, anyway. Might be a good time to switch to Gmail.

Good luck,

Ste
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ste, that's not entirely correct. Hotmail accounts do work with 10.4 Apple Mail if you install the free HTTPMail plug-in. However, the plug-in has yet to be updated for 10.5 Mail.

I stand corrected. In my defence, I have grown more and more disillusioned with Hotmail the last couple of years, to the point that I only keep it around now for ordering stuff online. Guess I took my eye off the ball.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thanks Guys for all the advice, much appreciated
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ste, that's not entirely correct. Hotmail accounts do work with 10.4 Apple Mail if you install the free HTTPMail plug-in. However, the plug-in has yet to be updated for 10.5 Mail.

The HTTPMail plug-in has been updated for Leopard. I've been using it on my MBP with 10.5 for the last couple of weeks.

GB
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks for the update -- I'll monkey around with it over the weekend. Any set-up tips for the techno-challenged, or is it like falling off a log?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hey guys,

i know i didnt ask this question but i was getting tired of having to go on to hotmail.com and typing the passwords.. haha

lately though, i cannot access my hotmail with my safari. I dont know whether this is a hotmail issue or a safari issue? Hotmail is the only mail account that cannot be accessed by safari... its kinda weird.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Don't know if any of you know but many people have been receiving and sending Hotmail mail via Mail.app for quite some time.

All you do is download an OS X Tiger and Leopard compatible app called MacFreePops, edit your Hotmail account in Mail.app so it uses the outgoing and incoming server that MacFreePops tells you to use. It's that simple.

I'm looking at all my Hotmail messages right now inside Mail.app.

The app is even listed on Apple.com.