Icon restore in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I have customized my Tiger icons with random new icons here and there, not throughout my system.

I hope that Leopard WILL override my own custom icons and install the original Leopard icons.

Is this going to happen?

If I do a normal upgrade will Leopard try to clean up my mac os x and get rid of unnecessary folders and files in the process? (would be great)

If not - what type of upgrade, short of a complete format and fresh install, would you recommend?

Regards,

Soeren

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Unfortunately, Leopard will not override custom icons. The only icon I ever customized was the Pictures folder, and unfortunately, it was kept with a full Leopard install.

I called Applecare Support to see if they could help me remedy my Pictures folder, but they were unable to help. I'm hoping and waiting that I can fix this problem upon the release of Candybar 3 for Leopard, or with the help from someone who knows their way around the Terminal.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It still works this simple way, even in Leopard:

Just use "Get Info" on the folder, klick on the icon in the Info window and hit the backspace key.

• Reply 3 of 9
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alfrank View Post

Just use "Get Info" on the folder, klick on the icon in the Info window and hit the backspace key.

O_O

Congratulations. You know more than Applecare. You just helped me a lot. Thank you _so_ much!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    OH MY G.

It worked! I don't believe it! Thanks a LOT!

• Reply 5 of 9
    custom icons on files (eg: CocoaThumbX icons) can be removed with said application. Failure to remove these custom icons means OS X uses them. Since they are 128x128, they look like crap in coverflow. Coverflow is ideal for images.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hi

I have 2 customised icons (installed using mimiFoto in Tiger) which I'd like to remove (having just upgraded to Leopard).

The 'Get Info > Click on icon > Press backspace (or Command-x, or 'Edit > 'Cut') ' method mentioned above is the one also suggested by the developer, but doesn't seem to work for me.

The developer has no other suggestions; can anyone offer a solution?

Here's hoping...

Regards

Alan
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agc353 View Post

Hi

I have 2 customised icons (installed using mimiFoto in Tiger) which I'd like to remove (having just upgraded to Leopard).

The 'Get Info > Click on icon > Press backspace (or Command-x, or 'Edit > 'Cut') ' method mentioned above is the one also suggested by the developer, but doesn't seem to work for me.

The developer has no other suggestions; can anyone offer a solution?

Here's hoping...

Regards

Alan

You may have to unlock it on the getinfo window down on the bottom and change the permissions read and write and then press the backspace like stated above.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

You may have to unlock it on the getinfo window down on the bottom and change the permissions read and write and then press the backspace like stated above.

That worked! Many, MANY thanks for your help.

Alan
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alfrank View Post

Thank you so much!