Does Turning Off "Data Roaming" Really Work Abroad?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Has anyone travelled abroad with the Data Roaming feature turned off? Does it, indeed, work -- i.e., you don't get charged for accidental EDGE/GPRS downloads, but can still use voice and wifi?

The reason I ask is, the iPhone's instructions right below that setting says something weasel-y like "When abroad, turning off Data Roaming may avoid roaming charges when using email........"

That hedged sentence has me a bit worried.

(I checked with ATT's international services and they assured me that it should work, but then, I don't have a lot of confidence in their advice -- for reasons I won't go into again, since I have done it elsewhere in this Forum).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hmmm... no reply yet. Not good news.

(The only reason I am replying to my own posting is so that the question stays in Page 1 of the iPhone Forums)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Didn't they announce a flat rate recently? If you use up to 50MB they will charge something like $25 a month and after that it's a pretty low rate. People shouldn't end up with huge $1000+ bills like they have before. It's unlikely that you will exceed 50MB using email.