800 MHz FSB for iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Macbook pros are on the new chipset and are running 800 MHz fsb, but the iMacs are still using the older chipset.

Is there any news on when the iMac will be updated with at least an 800 MHz front side bus?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
  • Reply 2 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    As looksthatkill points out. They already are.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Well snap. How'd I miss that?

Thanks guys!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Is there any info about when they will be updating to the newer intel chipset on the imacs that support a 1333 MHz FSB? I heard from a friend it may be soon.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    This is getting funny. Why so obsessed about the FSB? It is not like the bus taking you everyday from home to work and vice versa.

There are other components that could be updated and affect in a substantial way the iMac performance. Glaring example from the last update is the GPU. It was a downgrade from the previous nVidia graphics to the point that Apple did not even include the game benchmarks in the iMac graphics page.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenji View Post

Is there any info about when they will be updating to the newer intel chipset on the imacs that support a 1333 MHz FSB? I heard from a friend it may be soon.

iMacs use mobile chipsets, so they should get 1066MHz in 2008 and maybe 1333Mhz in 2009.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This is getting funny. Why so obsessed about the FSB? It is not like the bus taking you everyday from home to work and vice versa.

There are other components that could be updated and affect in a substantial way the iMac performance. Glaring example from the last update is the GPU. It was a downgrade from the previous nVidia graphics to the point that Apple did not even include the game benchmarks in the iMac graphics page.

I think there is truth to that, Going from 667 to 800 alone subbosedly amounted to jack. The only wrinkle that I can think of is I don't remember if the tests used matched memory pairs, because the memory is clocked at 667, pairs might net a noticeably higher speed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenji View Post

The Macbook pros are on the new chipset and are running 800 MHz fsb, but the iMacs are still using the older chipset.

Is there any news on when the iMac will be updated with at least an 800 MHz front side bus?

800mhz system bus. It uses 667mhz memory since 800mhz notebook memory is rare and expensive.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

It uses 667mhz memory since 800mhz notebook memory is rare and expensive.

And pointless given that the chipset doesn't support it.