Could Your Aluminum iMac Have Faulty Hardware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading alot on this and other forums regarding the new batch of iMac software updates not fixing people's issues. The Apple support forums reflect this as a growing number of customers are saying they are positive this is a graphics hardware issue. I mean think about it we have had four iMac software updates so far and people are still having problems? There was iMac Software Update 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 for Leopard users. It is a proven FACT that there are faulty ATI cards in the wild as you can see from the links found below.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/08...on_the_loose/1

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070801PD218.html

Now this makes me think just what if some of these faulty cards are in you iMac right now as we speak? Say Apple was using the batch of defective cards with no knowledge to build these Aluminum iMacs. Now that the production defect was noticed and corrected that would explain why some new iMacs work flawlessly and others are having interface problems. I think it depends on exactly when you purchased your iMac. You could have a defective card or maybe you don't. I have returned three iMacs and all had interface problems but I'm on my forth now and it runs PERFECT. I don't mean to rub that in the face of people still having issues but I'm trying to stress this point. I actually feel bad that I have a good machine now and some of your are still getting crapped on. I think those of you having problems and those who are not should use this thread to post a portion of your iMac serial number, iMac specifications and mention if you are having issues or not. Allow me to be the first with all four of my iMacs serial numbers.

Product- 20" 2.4GHz Aluminum iMac

Purchase Date- 09/07/07

Serial Number- W87340L****

Status- Interface Freezes & Dead Pixels

Purchase Date- 09/28/07

Serial Number- W8734BQ****

Status- Interface Freezes & Stuck Pixels

Purchase Date- 10/23/07

Serial Number- W8739BC****

Status- Interface Freezes

Purchase Date- 11/02/07

Serial Number- W874058****

Status- No Known Issues

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Either faulty cards, or they botched the cooling calculations. The Radeon were designed for machine with much more airflow. They really should have used the Mobile 8700GT instead of the desktop HD2600 for this machine.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Neither faulty cards, or they botched the cooling calculations. The Radeon were designed for machine with much more airflow. They really should have used the Mobile 8700GT instead of the desktop HD2600 for this machine.

Ben has hit it on the head.

The symptoms match that of overheating of cpus and other hardware. You only have to look inside the new iMacs to see how overcrowded they are and given they have faster cpus will generate even more internal heat in a smaller space.

Users are also reporting hot spots on the casing.

Unfortunately this will not be an easy fix for Apple. They will have to back off from their pointlessly "slimmer" design and allow enough room for heat disipation and ventilation.

Tough luck for people who bought this model!