Invisible Shield?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey everyone, im going to buy an ipod touch, and i know the back is metal again like the older ipods. it gets scratched, so i was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on getting the invisible shield for it. will it be noticible? does it work well? will it create any friction on the touch screen? will it ruin the ipod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Invisible Shield was one of the best purchases of my life, you'll never look back. I had my iPod over a year, I never used a case, and because of the "Shield" it didn't have one single scratch. And yes, it basically is invisible. Get it no question.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I wouldn't put it on the front as it changes the reflectivity of the screen (makes the reflection fuzzy like plastic instead of sharp) and the screen is strong enough being made of glass - they aren't like the old ipods. From the demos, it doesn't look like it affects the touch but I still think it's unnecessary for the front. For the metal back, why not, you're not going to see it anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    thanks for the feedback, im definately going to get it, but im not sure if im going to put it on the front of the touch yet..i've seen videos of the touch and it is impossible to scratch the front, but the back dfinately
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Another recomendation from me too!

a few points though, I've been playing LOTS of "klondike" (solitaire) on my new Classic and I'm not overly impressed with the shield on the click wheel, my thumb kind of jumps round it, like when rubing glass. It's likely I just need to apply less pressure as I'm more used to my old 4Gen iPod photo.

The good thing is you can apply it to the back AND front, then If you arn't keen on how it looks/feels on the front take it off.

a really great product that means I won't be getting a case!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liz217 View Post

thanks for the feedback, im definately going to get it, but im not sure if im going to put it on the front of the touch yet..i've seen videos of the touch and it is impossible to scratch the front, but the back dfinately

Not quite impossible according to this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnSDVM9bzA

but it's hard to know what conditions these people's phones have been in. If you take good enough care of it, I reckon the front will hold up pretty well.

The important thing to remember is what materials you put it in contact with. There is a scale of material hardness that determines scratch resistance called the mohs scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness

Diamond being the hardest known material will scratch anything so a sharp diamond ring (moh = 10) in contact with your phone (glass moh = 6-7) would do it if you were say fumbling in a bag or pocket where the phone was. Same with sharp hardened steel (moh = 7-8).

You can experiment with the casing on the front as the previous poster suggested and if it doesn't look or behave any worse then there's no harm leaving it on. If it does, take it off and just take a little extra care of the phone. The shields are designed to be removable because if your phone breaks, you have to take off the cover before sending it back to Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not quite impossible according to this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnSDVM9bzA

but it's hard to know what conditions these people's phones have been in. If you take good enough care of it, I reckon the front will hold up pretty well.

The important thing to remember is what materials you put it in contact with. There is a scale of material hardness that determines scratch resistance called the mohs scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness

Diamond being the hardest known material will scratch anything so a sharp diamond ring (moh = 10) in contact with your phone (glass moh = 6-7) would do it if you were say fumbling in a bag or pocket where the phone was. Same with sharp hardened steel (moh = 7-8).

You can experiment with the casing on the front as the previous poster suggested and if it doesn't look or behave any worse then there's no harm leaving it on. If it does, take it off and just take a little extra care of the phone. The shields are designed to be removable because if your phone breaks, you have to take off the cover before sending it back to Apple.

thanks for the videos, now i will definately put the shield on the front also...because as you said, i can always take it ff if i dont like it.

thanks everyone
  • Reply 7 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liz217 View Post

thanks for the videos, now i will definately put the shield on the front also...because as you said, i can always take it ff if i dont like it.

thanks everyone

You'll see what we mean when using it a week, you wont need a case, guaranteed. Also, they have a lifetime guarantee, so if you have any issues, they'll send you out a new one.

Download this episode to get a better idea how to apply it. Then immediately delete this awful show from your iTunes library.