160GB Apple TV's - $339 at Costco

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Thought I'd share; saw this today at a Northern CA Costco.

Apple TV 160GB

$389.99

-$50.00 Manufacturers Instant Rebate

------------

$339.99

Thru the end of November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Without a DVD-slot, the thing isn't work $200
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Without a DVD-slot, the thing isn't work $200

I already have two devices that play DVDs. I realize this is your "Torch" to carry but it ain't happening man. If you want a DVD and AppleTV features you buy a Mac mini. Apple is not going to put a DVD drive in the Apple TV.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Put an HDMI port and 802.11n on the Mini and I'll bet you could kiss sales of the aTV goodbye! The only reason I have NOT bought a mini yet is I hate the idea of slowing down my network with a "g" device.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I already have two devices that play DVDs. I realize this is your "Torch" to carry

Huh

Quote:

If you want a DVD and AppleTV features you buy a Mac mini.

No

Quote:

Apple is not going to put a DVD drive in the Apple TV.

I don't know if that's true, time will tell.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Huh

No

I don't know if that's true, time will tell.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of integration but when Jobs calls the tv

"the DVD player of the internet" you get the idea that he's not looking at shiny

optical discs.

My future setup probably looks like this.

Universal HD optical player HDMI port #1

Xbox Elite - HDMI port #2

Apple TV 2.0 HDMI port #3

As much as I would love to see such consolidation it's not going happen because Apple knows that people generally have multiple devices that can playback DVD. I wouldn't mind seeing a specific higher end model with a drive but are people really going to want a DVD drive or do they really want to rip their DVDs and have the tv play those files instead?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of integration but when Jobs calls the tv

"the DVD player of the internet" you get the idea that he's not looking at shiny

optical discs.

My future setup probably looks like this.

Universal HD optical player HDMI port #1

Xbox Elite - HDMI port #2

Apple TV 2.0 HDMI port #3

As much as I would love to see such consolidation it's not going happen because Apple knows that people generally have multiple devices that can playback DVD. I wouldn't mind seeing a specific higher end model with a drive but are people really going to want a DVD drive or do they really want to rip their DVDs and have the tv play those files instead?

I have to admit I used to give people a hard time who wanted a DVD player in the Apple TV, but now I kinda want one too. It would help with limited ports. I'm particularly limited on my digital audio ports, and I'd like to just be able to pop DVDs in the Apple TV.

Nevertheless, I realize it probably won't happen.