why is there any viruses in mac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was wondering; why are there any viruses for mac like windows?? is it because mac security standard is much higher than windows?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WolF_00 View Post

I was wondering; why are there any viruses for mac like windows?? is it because mac security standard is much higher than windows?

I believe you mean why aren't there any. The reason is a combination of better security and lower marketshare. The disagreement is in what ratio those 2 factors play into the equation. There aren't any Vista viruses AFAIK which is probably due to the increased security in Vista. OS X and Vista are relatively on par security-wise while XP is way below especially if you use Internet Explorer.

Edit: There was one Vista virus that took advantage of the monad shell which most people will not have.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WolF_00 View Post

This question has been asked and answered on this and other forums too many times to count. It was answered incorrectly above. The word security implies [to me, at least] external process that are separate and apart from the OS design. The reason that there are no viruses on the Mac is a combination of better design and community of users and developers who respect that design. To a lesser degree, MacOS X also benefits from the decades of Unix development.

It gets lost that there are only something like 26 Mac-specific viruses. Most of those date back to System 6 and System 7. The number of viruses actually decreased because security could be more effectively implemented on the Mac than on MS-DOS and Windows. By the time MacOS 9 was the extant MacOS, there were fewer than one new Mac virus per year. Almost all malware that affected the Mac were actually cross-platform Office/VBA macro-viruses. MacOS X reduced the tiny number of new Mac viruses to zero.

Although I am willing to give Microsoft all the blame that it is due, a good measure of security problems in Windows are due to the community of Windows developers and users. Many developers and peripheral manufacturers require the highest level of privilege to install their products. This needlessly compromises security. Windows includes some security-challenged features such as ActiveX. Entirely too many developers use these features and the user community sheepishly accepts it. And don't get me started on Visual BASIC for Applications. The vast majority of Windows-users have never made productive use of VBA, but virtually every Windows-user has suffered from VBA viruses.

I could go on.