Have an idea!!! Does Apple use tips brought up by non-employees?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Say you have an idea

I don't care if Apple uses the idea and I don't get paid for it

Is it a waste of time to write to Apple and give them your idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There was a story a while back about how a little girl wrote to Apple with ways to improve the iPod, and Apple legal sent her a cease and desist letter. The logic is that if people send ideas, and it turns out that Apple actually was working on it anyway and it makes it into an Apple product, the person with the idea could sue Apple and claim they stole the idea. Here's Apple's policy.

So no, don't send them any ideas. Instead use the feedback form on their website for product feedback.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

I don't care if Apple uses the idea and I don't get paid for it

Is it a waste of time to write to Apple and give them your idea?

You are absolutely right.

It's not like Apple hates their fanbase. They can't acknowledge ideas submitted because they might become financialy liable. Too many scumbags try to make a quick buck by outrageous lawsuits. That's what Apple tries to avoid.

-t
  • Reply 3 of 4
    When they write back, it's usually saying "We know what we're doing, thank you."

I trust Apple. And hopefully they check the web to see what (we) people think and the ideas we have.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There was a story a while back about how a little girl wrote to Apple with ways to improve the iPod, and Apple legal sent her a cease and desist letter. The logic is that if people send ideas, and it turns out that Apple actually was working on it anyway and it makes it into an Apple product, the person with the idea could sue Apple and claim they stole the idea. Here's Apple's policy.

So no, don't send them any ideas. Instead use the feedback form on their website for product feedback.

HAHAHA The product I had an idea for is not even on the list..... Safari errr!