No Podcasts at the Apple Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello everyone. I have just joined AppleInsider and thought you may be interested in my recent experience.

\tDuring a visit to London England (I live in Luxembourg) I was looking forward to visiting the Apple Store in Regent Street. It is a huge shop on two floors and is the ultimate temple for Apple enthusiasts. Although a PC user I have had a 5th generation video Ipod for over two years and was looking forward to looking at my next purchase of either a new 8GB Nano or the new Touch Ipod. In fact my Ipod experience has made me consider an Apple as my next Computer.

\tI use my present Ipod mainly to listen to Podcasts including BBC, Cranky Geeks, CNET, TWIT, Old Time Radio, Podiobooks, etc, etc.

\tI was quite surprised to find that at the Nano ?bench? with 8 working Nano's on display that none of them had Podcasts loaded. In fact the opening screen did not have Podcasts selected as an option. I asked a salesperson about this and he showed only little surprise but after looking for further Nano's he found one connected to a Mac that had 2 video Podcasts and one Podcasts loaded on. This enable me to experience a Podcasts on a new nano but only after asking.

\tA short while later I moved on to the Touch Ipod ?bench? and found that all 8 working Touch Ipods were also devoid of Podcasts both Audio and Video. This time I asked a personal shopper for help and her first words were ?I am not sure Podcasts are available on the Touch lets check?!. She then asked someone else who explained that they can be loaded on and the icon for Podcasts is accessed through the menu etc. However no Podcasts of any nature were to be found anywhere in the store on a Touch Ipod. They offered to do something about it but by that time I was feeling out of sync with Apple.

\tThe point of this story is to bring Podcasters and Podcast listeners attention to the fact that if Apple have no interest why should I or anyone else. Anyone not knowing about Podcasts will not be introduced to them if you visit an Apple store. I left the store feeling a bit old fashioned as I was obviously interested in something out of fashion.

\tIn fact |I am a big fan of Podcasts and hope that those in Podcast production and marketing do something about this.

Graham Pollard