So yeah. Safari's Web Clip feature doesn't work at all.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Very lame. Every time I select a portion of a website to add, then add it, Dashboard loads up but then doesn't show the web clip. If I pull up the actual "Dashboard", then I see a lone "Close X button" with nothing attached to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

Very lame. Every time I select a portion of a website to add, then add it, Dashboard loads up but then doesn't show the web clip. If I pull up the actual "Dashboard", then I see a lone "Close X button" with nothing attached to it.

it works for me.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    I called Applecare Support and after the expectedly long process, what I did was delete both of Safari's .plists under my Home Folder Library.

Cool.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    web clip widgets are about useless as the rest of dashboard, slow loading. I don't see the point if it isn't going to be instantaneous. First load can take minutes and this is on a core 2 duo macbook pro. junk. don't call this one of the new 300 features, its crap.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Works great for me.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

web clip widgets are about useless as the rest of dashboard, slow loading. I don't see the point if it isn't going to be instantaneous. First load can take minutes and this is on a core 2 duo macbook pro. junk. don't call this one of the new 300 features, its crap.

Wow. Is this ridiculous delay new for you with Leopard, or was it present in Tiger as well?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Sandau: How many widgets do you have? I have 10 and it takes less than 15 seconds to load the first time, MBP C2D.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

Me too. I really like the widgets. They come in handy for me.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I'm guessing sandau's on dial up and expecting miracles.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    i have 5 widgets and it takes like 2 seconds for them to load.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I love web-clip...

Finally I have a nice weather widget. Took all of 10 seconds to "make" it too.

It is a rectangular map with a pop-up menu for choosing between a ton of different weather maps. Everything from sea temperature to dew point!

Scraped from:

http://www.wpxi.com/wxmap/4290772/detail.html
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

i think it depends on how many widgets you have that pull information from the internet, i had a load that had stocks, weather, all sorts. then i realized i dont actually use them, so i got rid of them, and, hey presto, they loaded almost instantaneously, even in tiger. now ive got leopard, it basically instant. AND im running it on a 1.83 macbook with 512mb ram, which makes it all the more impressive.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

I'm guessing sandau's on dial up and expecting miracles.

wish that were the case, but i'm on a premium broadband line here.

well, they just replaced the board on my macbook pro, maybe that was the problem. we'll see when i get it home tonight. however, i've never been impressed by how slow the first load of the widgets is after restarting.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Not that I don't care to piss on your hate but Webclips work best against sites housed on large pipe connectivity and provide dynamic content refreshes. If you have a site that houses various financial feeds creating your own Dashboard WebClip to be customized to your needs without having to load the site, but just the uri(s) that house your needs is indeed a nice feature to have on your desktop.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    If you're using a custom style sheet in Safari (Safari>Preferences>Advanced), web clips may not work. You may not realize you're using a custom style sheet, but if you've used an application like Safari Enhancer in the past, then yes, you are using a custom style sheet.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlanta Rick View Post

If you're using a custom style sheet in Safari (Safari>Preferences>Advanced), web clips may not work. You may not realize you're using a custom style sheet, but if you've used an application like Safari Enhancer in the past, then yes, you are using a custom style sheet.

Just had to say, THANKS! I was never going to guess that my Dashboard problem could be solved by a Safari setting like that.