Apple Gaming Platform?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone think apple might enter the console market? I think once it's feasible (economically and technologically) apple will get into digital distribution and use appleTV (3.0? 4.0?) as a platform. thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    No chance. For many many years, and I just say not for many years, because no one knows what the future will truly bring. With the Wii, 360, and PS3, there just isn't room.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Look how much they sell the Apple TV for and what you get for that money. Consoles offer so much more and generally make huge losses for the company for a while and Apple don't do that sort of business. The way that Apple have managed to avoid any attention from all sorts of gaming developers means that if they made a console, it would die within months as there would be no decent games for it.

The thing is, Apple almost have a gaming platform as it is because their product lineup is so limited. And yet despite this fact, we still get driver bugs and glitches that aren't dealt with for months on end and those graphics capabilities aren't upgraded for months bordering on years.

Apple could easily make a gamer's Mac that is especially suited to gaming with a mid to high end consumer graphics card and I think that would be enough. Given the size of the PS2, they could even pay Sony to put them inside their machines for maybe £50 and use the normal optical drive to play standard PS2 games. Instant catalogue of thousands of games.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    People want new games though. Look at the PS3.

Also, developers don't want to learn ANOTHER console.