Spotlight in Leopard: unusable for me

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello.

I've installed Leopard today (the copy arrived just hours ago) and run into some problems with spotlight.

Whenever I use CMD+Space or click the Spotlight lens I get the spinning ball/wheel for a short time.

When I type my search request it takes at least three seconds for the first letter to appear, albeit four or more have already been pressed on the keyboard.

Then after a while the second and third letter appear in the spotlight search box. Then all three letters disappear and the fourth and fifth letter appear, now being the first two letters in the search field.

I find that really strange, that this happens even after a fresh restart.

I ran Software Update twice or thrice today until nothing was left for me to update.

Btw. I have an iMac (Alu) 2GHz, 20", 2GB, so it should be running smoothly, shan't it?

And I did an Upgrade Install, so nothing was erased. Could that be it?

Has anyone experienced the same and could offer me some advice?

Thanks for reading...\

PS: Starting from the Boot Camp partition just gets me to the Start Logo of Windows XP.

Has upgrading to Leopard somehow damaged the Windows partition, installed under Tiger?

PPS: Are Safari's inactive tabs hard to read or is it just me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Spotlight is in progress of initial indexing. The time it takes to complete the initial indexing depends on how much content you have to index. What size hard drive do you have?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    There are the 200GB internal HDD and two 180GB external HDDs connected to the iMac.

But indexing is over, otherwise Spotlight would tell me. (Indexing took about an hour after install).

And with almost ten hours continuously running Spotlight is still not responding.

Maybe a glitch. I just copy everything again and do a clean install.

BTW: I wanted to copy all my data for backup (without Time Machine, because it only copied about 26GB of 90GB), but Finder tells me he can not read this or that file while copying.

But when opening the file (DMG), Finder verifies the Disk Image without a problem.

And I copied my stuff before the install without a problem, but after the upgrade I was to eager and used the hard drive for Time Machine,....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The external HDD case has some problems with its controller.

The HDD has 156 GB but the controller will only see 128 GB according to Disk Utility.

Taking another (and newer) HDD case solved the problem.

Spotlight is working again, even when indexing another drive.

And I can copy my files again.

Maybe it means to finally say good bye to the failing case, after so many HDDs it had.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    On the subject of Spotlight not working, does anyone know how to ]make it re-index itself? somehow, the process was stopped halfway through, and spotlight no longer finds things that i know to exist.