Airport Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks,

I've been hitting a problem today. I was in my school library, playing Battlefield 2142 (yeah yeah, procrastinator....), when my MBP locked up. It became completely unresponsive to everything- the keyboard, mouse, SMS, IR port (via apple remote)- nothing responded. Over the coures of the immediate 2 minutes, I tried everything to get it to respond. Even the sound died. During these 2 minutes, the fans were louder than I've ever heard them. I forced a shutdown via PMU reset, which, thankfully, worked.

Now, I am hitting another problem. While upon restart, everything seemsm normal, I am unable to connect to wireless networks. Lemme explain what's going on: I can see networks in the Airport Menu, and I can select them to join them, but that's where everything goes funky. I can join a network, and get full strength, for exactly one second. the next second I have zero signal. The second after that it returns to full signal, and so on. I am at a loss to explain this, other than perhaps some wireless component overheated...

I need advice, and possibly a DIY repair option- I'm a little strapped for cash right now and I'd like to try everything I can myself before taking it in to the local Apple store.

-J