Boot Camp Assistant missing from new MacBooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I just unboxed a brand new x3100 MacBook. One of my main uses for this machine is for my wife to run a few Windows apps. So I go to fire up Boot Camp... Hmmm... Where is it supposed to be? Spotlight, can you help me? No sign of it. Help? Supposed to be in Applications/Utilities. Not there. I hit the Apple support forums. Whoops! Looks like others are encountering the same thing. No Boot Camp Assistant on their shiny new machines. Fortunately, there is a way to spirit BCA out of the OS X Install discs. But, sheesh.

*SIGH*

- Jasen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Was Leo installed?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I can confirm that Boot Camp Assistant is missing on new MacBook models (late 2007 with preinstalled Leopard and X3100 graphics). You will need to reinstall (or spirit from) Leopard. Fun!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Maybe it's not installed by default... but is included in the Leopard DVD. So is this on MBs only?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Can you benchmark the graphics performance? There seem to be no benchmarks anywhere showing how the x3100 has improved things.

Running Xbench would be good but only select the OpenGL benchmark and do it 3 times and if someone with a Macbook can do the same.

Also if you can run Cinebench:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18582

One reason Bootcamp may have not been preinstalled is that they were supposedly having trouble with the x3100 drivers.