Suggestions for Mac mini "accessories"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Gentlemen,

I am purchasing a mac mini for simple web surfing and some word processing. For those of you who have one, what "add ons" would you recommend in terms of a monitor, keyboard, mouse, hubs (USB 2.0 or Firewire) and any other hardware that I may benefit from or not know about that you may be a fan of.

Any suggestions? Prices, brands/models numbers and links are appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I suggest the Apple wired keyboard, and a decent Logitech Bluetooth mouse. Or Logitech wireless mouse, though that has the annoying dongle thingy.

You *must* get an external hard disk to back up this stuff. This *must* be FW400. If you use Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. FW400 hard disk, you have quite a number of USB ports left over.

Your printer *should* be a network printer that supports Bonjour. This is plugged into your wireless router (Airport Extreme highly recommended) via *Ethernet* NOT USB.

That's all my suggestions for now, unfortunately, don't have the time to break it down into specs/ brands/ etc, besides I am in a far different country.

Apple wired keyboard (like iMac one) is good, Logitech I still like it a lot, Airport Extreme wireless router (please for the love of god do not get Netgear, D-Link, etc... you will regret it), and definitely NO USB PRINTER IT SHOULD BE ETHERNET SUPPORTING BONJOUR.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Scanner should be separate from your printer. Scanner can be USB, Canon brand. Make sure the box specifies Mac OS X compatibility, check online for Leopard compatibility.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    1. Upgrade the RAM. It's only 59 bucks to go to 2GB from Crucial.

2. I like the Lacie drive/hub . Great for secondary zero footprint storage.

3. Dinovo mouse/kb. You may as well go sexy.

4. iWork 08. What a great little suite of apps for under $80. Finally I can open up more complex MS Office files with acceptable fidelity.

5. Fujitsu S500M document scanner- Once you make the move towards reducing paper clutter your life will not be the same. Acrobat Pro 8 included. Worth the price of the scanner alone.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Keep them coming.

Any suggestions for speakers?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrome14 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Keep them coming.

Any suggestions for speakers?

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=363