Apple now turned to telemarketing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
just got a call from some somebody that claimed to be from apple (caller id only showed TOLL FREE and the number) trying to sell me an applecare extended warranty. i then called that number back and the system actually said WELCOME TO APPLECARE!

WTF is this, is apple now resorting to this kind of nonsense, plus I AM ON THE NO CALL FROM TELEMARKETERS LIST!

++++++++++

I posted the above to the apple website at http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31299&tstart=0

and guess what, after 3 responses apple LOCKED my thread! obviously this was somehow embarrassing to them? is this a new apple feature, getting calls at dinner and on weekends?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    they have always done this. When your standard 1 year is about to expire they usually call you to see if you want to extend. I think of it as more of a courtesy than a bother.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ti Fighter View Post

they have always done this. When your standard 1 year is about to expire they usually call you to see if you want to extend. I think of it as more of a courtesy than a bother.

well, an email would have done the same thing, wouldn't it.....
  • Reply 3 of 10
    well what email would they send it to? not everyone has a .mac address...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

just got a call from some somebody that claimed to be from apple (caller id only showed TOLL FREE and the number) trying to sell me an applecare extended warranty. i then called that number back and the system actually said WELCOME TO APPLECARE!

WTF is this, is apple now resorting to this kind of nonsense, plus I AM ON THE NO CALL FROM TELEMARKETERS LIST!

++++++++++

I posted the above to the apple website at http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31299&tstart=0

and guess what, after 3 responses apple LOCKED my thread! obviously this was somehow embarrassing to them? is this a new apple feature, getting calls at dinner and on weekends?

The no call does not apply if you're a customer somewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

well what email would they send it to? not everyone has a .mac address...

obviously the email address i put down along with my phone number when i registered the macbook, DUH!

customer or not, does anybody like to be called at dinnertime with some offer from your cable company, your cell phone company or apple?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

I am surprised that Apple didn't just delete the thread? I get calls at dinner and put them on hold until after I finish eating. They don't seem to wait.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

obviously the email address i put down along with my phone number when i registered the macbook, DUH!

customer or not, does anybody like to be called at dinnertime with some offer from your cable company, your cell phone company or apple?

You gave them your real phone number? Most often I make one up.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

You gave them your real phone number? Most often I make one up.

sorry i had to laugh at this one alot.

Just imagin the person who gets a call to extend there warrenty on their "mac". which they don't own
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I've never received a call from Apple. And yes, I register with my real phone #.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

I've never received a call from Apple. And yes, I register with my real phone #.

Heck, I would love for Steve (or one of his representatives) to call me. I want to talk with Steve about some of the products I want Apple to make.