Copying Audio CDs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi. I'm new to the mac. What is the most simple way to copy an audio CD? Back on windows I would use CloneCD for making backups of purchased CDs. What is the best way to go about this in OS X 10.5? It would be great if i didn't have to spend anymore money either but if that can't be avoided nevermind.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    you could import into itunes. then burn onto a CD.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Define 'copy.'

Rip as WAVs to your harddrive? burn a new disc?

You can always just drag the WAV files to your harddrive, if that's what you mean.

If you are looking for good general purpose disc burning software, LiquidCD and Burn are both free and decent.

If you use iTunes, make sure to go into iTunes' preferences and import as WAV or AIF, or Apple Lossless. It defaults to MP4, which is lossy and useless outside of iPods.

BTW, welcome to Mac and these forums!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Some CDs may have extra content so for an exact copy, go into disk utility, file menu>new>image from device and it will have a device number on the last option. This is the CD. Save the image somewhere. Then eject the CD (assuming you only have one drive), click the burn icon in disk utility, select the image to burn then insert a blank CD when asked.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

Hi. I'm new to the mac. What is the most simple way to copy an audio CD? Back on windows I would use CloneCD for making backups of purchased CDs. What is the best way to go about this in OS X 10.5? It would be great if i didn't have to spend anymore money either but if that can't be avoided nevermind.

Max works great for that.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28353
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Use Disk Utility.

Tutorial
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanx all. i've discovered Disk Utility and MAX is great exactly what i wanted.