Installing Leopard on an old Powerbook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

This is my first post on here, please don't crucify me if I've posted in the wrong place....

What I am thinking about doing is installing Leopard on my 12" Powerbook 768mhz 640RAM.

Has anyone else done this, if so how slow does it run? Am I better off leaving 10.4.10 on there?

Cheers dudes,

Rob.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobsleaf View Post

Hi,

This is my first post on here, please don't crucify me if I've posted in the wrong place....

What I am thinking about doing is installing Leopard on my 12" Powerbook 768mhz 640RAM.

Has anyone else done this, if so how slow does it run? Am I better off leaving 10.4.10 on there?

Cheers dudes,

Rob.

The minimum requirements to run Leopard are G4 867Mhz with 512MB memory.

It won't allow you to install it on your machine.

Tiger is a good OS for your machine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Why is everyone so snarky on Mac forums these days? Used to be friendly places to be..

The OP meant an 867Mhz PowerBook, as Apple didn't make a 12" PowerBook slower than this.

Dude, your laptop is the lowest spec' that Leopard will run on without hacking. Load your 12" PB with max RAM and you should be fine, but it's not going to be as snappy as on a later machine. We have 10.5 running on a 1.5Ghz 12" PowerBook and a 1.67Ghz 15" PowerBook and it's much quicker than 10.4 was. We have 1Gb of RAM in each notebook and the G4's are performing well with it.

Good luck
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post

Why is everyone so snarky on Mac forums these days? Used to be friendly places to be..

Good luck

What exactly are you talking about? I didn't see anything uncalled for in smee's post. He answered the question to the best of his knowledge. I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I installed Leopard on my rev A 867 12" PB. It worked fine. I did add a new 1 gig stick of RAM and now it runs better than with Tiger.

This should extend the life of my PB quite nicely until Apple comes out with a small laptop. I just can't get excited about the 13" screen size on the MacBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for replying.

Oops, my bad. I got the processor speed wrong. Schoolboy error on my part, me thinks.

I've just got a 2.2Ghz Macbook as a replacement for my Powerbook, my plan is to network them both together. When I get round to putting some extra RAM into the Powerbook I'll probably stick Leopard on there.

Cheers peeps.

x