Connecting a Fuse monitor to a MacBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi. My girlfriend has recently gotten the new macbook with 2.2 ghz santa rosa and all that fun. She got it at the apple store in carrefour laval and got a dvi cable for it. The cable didn't fit so she went back today. She got the proper one and it fit but apparently the monitor won't work. It's a fuse monitor if that helps at all. Does anyone know why it isn't working? It's either a 17 inch or 19 inch screen. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bump

common guys, she needs help here. she's using the above monitor, she's connected the apple wire into the wire that came with the monitor. It's still not working.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    IF the moniter shows "no signal" signs, then it's probably a cable problem. One thing i've seen trick people (including myself), is that there is sometimes a cable that can come out of the moniter, so you have to plug it back in.

If it does show a signal, but it's black, then Go to system preferances, displays, and se if it recognises it

Also, This is not insulting your intelegence, but make sure the Screen is on. You'd be suprised to see how often that happens.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Do you have the model number of the display? Also, I think the adaptor is DVI-D so if the display is DVI-A, it won't work.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Do you have the model number of the display? Also, I think the adaptor is DVI-D so if the display is DVI-A, it won't work.

i guess i'll have to take a trip over to her house. she's not so good with electronics and where to find stuff. one question though, how do you know if it 's dvi a or d? i know my parents is both, but how do you tell. now that i think of it, i think it is a dvi d, but not 100% sure.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i guess i'll have to take a trip over to her house. she's not so good with electronics and where to find stuff. one question though, how do you know if it 's dvi a or d? i know my parents is both, but how do you tell. now that i think of it, i think it is a dvi d, but not 100% sure.

You can tell the cable by the pins:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=300

but I doubt you'd be able to check the socket for the same thing as they probably just fill up the holes. If you get the model number or maybe the manual for the display, you may be able to find the exact spec.

Another route you might want to try is using a VGA adaptor if it takes VGA. I find DVI to be quite annoying at times like changing resolution while asleep etc. VGA just seems to work and I personally don't see any difference in quality.