Mac Mini vs iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here's and interesting question someone asked me.

Deciding between the Mac Mini and the iMac.

If you have an iMac and the screen gets damaged or goes out for some reason, you're out of luck because you have to send the iMac out to get it fixed. Or, in the meantime you can hook up another monitor and continue using it until you get it fixed.

But if you have a Mac Mini and your monitor goes, you can just hook up another monitor and be on your way.

So, the question is, why should I get an iMac if that's the case?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    I got a Mac mini, because it was cheaper than the iMac, almost as powerful as the iMac and I because I already had a monitor to use. So it worked for me well, and the mini's fun to mod
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The iMac has a better graphics card and a 3.5" 7200 rpm drive. If Apple allowed a BTO 7200 rpm and put in a good GPU, which they could easily do then there would be very little difference.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The MacMini could be build as a very powerfull machine (as powerfull as iMac) but Apple decided no too cause they made the MacMini as a budget apple pc (and there is no way to upgrade it to be as powerfull as iMac). The MacMini would be enough for users who use their PC to do documents and so on. Not graphic dependent programs. Anyway what do you mod on your MacMini and I though the MacMini is reaching the end of its product line?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The iMac has a better graphics card and a 3.5" 7200 rpm drive. If Apple allowed a BTO 7200 rpm and put in a good GPU, which they could easily do then there would be very little difference.

Could the new 45nm chip make a difference in Apple's decisions to utilize a better graphics card and a faster HDD in the Mini?

Or is that apples and oranges (no pun intended)?