Ram disk?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My powerbook is about to be the happy owner of 768 mb ram and besidepreventing too many pageins or -outs or what the hell its called (I know its UNIX-like but beside the "rock solid" phrase I don´t intent to learn any tech-lingo because of that)...eh lost the meaning of this

I´ll start again: How do I make a ram disk in X to host the system or a couple of hours MP3 to speed up my Powerbook or conserve power?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    There's no such tool at least available from the GUI in OS X, which is unfortunate (it's great for any kind of scratch disk or cache). It's kind of unusual. Like what people have been saying about the ability of WinXP to log-out without quitting processes, *nixes have had a similar tool to RAM disks available to them for a long time. But Apple hasn't implemented it through the GUI. I'm not even sure if it's available in Darwin.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>My powerbook is about to be the happy owner of 768 mb ram and besidepreventing too many pageins or -outs or what the hell its called (I know its UNIX-like but beside the "rock solid" phrase I don´t intent to learn any tech-lingo because of that)...eh lost the meaning of this

I´ll start again: How do I make a ram disk in X to host the system or a couple of hours MP3 to speed up my Powerbook or conserve power?</strong><hr></blockquote>

don't think RAM disks are possible in OS X yet but as for your MP3s. iTunes and most other MP3 players have a "load to RAM" option which saves supposedly 25 percent power.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    I was just about to post a question on ram discs when I saw this one. What is Apple upto? Come on all you appleheads out there, there must be some way to create a ram disc. Surfings bad enough on a 56k without having to wait for the cache to read from the HD.

$10 dollars for a shareware app that'll give me it. That'll tempt you
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

There's no such tool at least available from the GUI in OS X, which is unfortunate <strong>(it's great for any kind of scratch disk or cache).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Under OS X that need/want should be gone. Everything stays in RAM until you run out of it.

[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>*nixes have had a similar tool to RAM disks available to them for a long time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've used UNIX for years and never heard of it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

I've used UNIX for years and never heard of it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure about that? I can't believe you've never taken a look at <a href="http://campuscgi.princeton.edu/man?mount_tmpfs"; target="_blank">this</a>, then
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Scrod:

<strong>

Are you sure about that? I can't believe you've never taken a look at <a href="http://campuscgi.princeton.edu/man?mount_tmpfs"; target="_blank">this</a>, then</strong><hr></blockquote>

Never used it. Never seen anyone use it. Never heard anyone express a need for it. Not part of my Irix distribution.