Key Logger Tracking

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi

I searched previous threads, and can't seem to find what I am looking for - I am wondering how you can detect if there is a key logging program installed on your Mac, and how they work... I know this is a newb question, but Google isn't helping. Can anyone help a newb out? I was presented with this possibility tonight and am curious how these things work and how to see if one is installed.

I appreciate it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You can run Activity Monitor. Google any app that is running and you don't know what it is. This will tell you if one is installed and running.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If it's application-level, it will show up in your activity monitor processes. If it's a kernel extension like this one:

http://fsbsoftware.com/logKext.html

check to see if that one exists and delete it if so. Kexts are stored in /System/Library/extensions and /Library/extensions.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You guys are the best! I went into my Utilities and entered the sudo logkextclient and password, and it says "sudo: logkextclient: command not found" - does that mean there isn't a keylog installed on my system? (sorry I am such a newb lol)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    No, it simply means that that single application is not running. there are hundreds of keylogger systems out there. If you are in a place where you might be watched, it could be network-level, instead of system level, in which case, you lose.