Linux applications

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Where are some of the popular Linux apps for OS X?

StarOffice

Gimp

It is my understanding that these apps can be run even now by using Xfree86 and an XWindows system. However, StarOffice in particular, I would love to see native on OS X.

Sun?

-'pert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    StarOffice will take a lot of work to get running on OS X in any fashion, native or in xfree86. They aren't devoting paid resources to the task but they hope someone with the time and skills will do so.

Gimp runs fine in xfree86 on Mac OS X. I have it installed and even though I don't use it, it does work. I installed it using fink. "fink install gimp" which will also install xfree86 for you "fink install xfree86-server" so go to fink.sourceforge.net and read up on it. Make sure you have your OS X Dev Tools installed. If not go to connect.apple.com, make an account then sign in to the download area and look in the OS X section for the dev tools.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    No offense meant, but I don't see the point in developing StarOffice for OS X. The whole point of StarOffice is that it's Open Source, to port it to work with a proprietary interface doesn't make sense to me. If you need StarOffice, use Darwin and Xfree86.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Composer:

<strong>No offense meant, but I don't see the point in developing StarOffice for OS X. The whole point of StarOffice is that it's Open Source, to port it to work with a proprietary interface doesn't make sense to me. If you need StarOffice, use Darwin and Xfree86.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's to my understanding that theirs StarOffice for Windows correct? If so then why not bring it to our proprietary OS?

As NDPTAL85 mentioned though, Sun is leaving it up to developers who want to do it for free. I believe OpenOffice is the one their asking developers to bring to OS X. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between StarOffice & OpenOffice, both come from the same code though, I think StarOffice is just the version Sun puts it's name on or something.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I didn't know that StarOffice can be found on Windows machines. Weird. Why would anybody buy Gate's software then? Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, it would be interesting to see StarOffice on OS X, I'd like to see how well they manage to use the aqua design elements.