Mac Pro RAM Recommendations

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Any recommendations on RAM upgrades for my Mac Pro?

I have 1GB right now, so that's really the limiting factor, especially considering my graphics card (ATI Radeon X1900XT)

I want between 1-2GB more (although I realize RAM works best in pairs, so I suppose I might get 3).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Any recommendations on RAM upgrades for my Mac Pro?

I have 1GB right now, so that's really the limiting factor, especially considering my graphics card (ATI Radeon X1900XT)

I want between 1-2GB more (although I realize RAM works best in pairs, so I suppose I might get 3).

The Mac Pro has slots for eight FB-DIMMs. You need to purchase matching pairs for best performance. Last time I checked you could buy 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB sticks (so you can add 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB). You need PC-5300 (DDR2-667 MHz).

My guess is your system currently has (2) 512MB sticks in the first two slots of one of the DIMM riser cards. Whatever you do, start by adding two identical DIMMs to the first two slots of the *other* riser card. This uses the other memory branch on the memory controller, and may offer slightly better performance.

I'm not a strong believer in praising one name-brand part over another. In fact, I usually buy the cheapest memory available with a 1+ yr. warranty. That way, you save some cash, and you'll probably know really quickly if a stick is bad. That's just my philosophy...

(edit for bad punctuation)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acr4 View Post

The Mac Pro has slots for eight FB-DIMMs. You need to purchase matching pairs for best performance. Last time I checked you could buy 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB sticks (so you can add 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB). You need PC-5300 (DDR2-667 MHz).

My guess is your system currently has (2) 512MB sticks in the first two slots of one of the DIMM riser cards. Whatever you do, start by adding two identical DIMMs to the first two slots of the *other* riser card. This uses the other memory branch on the memory controller, and may offer slightly better performance.

I'm not a strong believer in praising one name-brand part over another. In fact, I usually buy the cheapest memory available with a 1+ yr. warranty. That way, you save some cash, and you'll probably know really quickly if a stick is bad. That's just my philosophy...

(edit for bad punctuation)

The RAM also needs to be ECC/Fully Buffered I believe.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the replies!